Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Advent 2017 The Christmas Story from Matthew


When we think of the Christmas story we usually see it through the eyes of Luke – the angel visiting Mary, the manger, the angelic choir, the shepherds; the visit to Jerusalem when he was 8 days old and the encounters with Anne and Simeon. Such richness in those first two chapters!

This year I thought I would look at how Matthew presents the birth of Christ. We are not totally unfamiliar with him, but the rhythms of his story are different. And the story he relates is an amazing one!

The Lord willing I will take a look at the first two chapters of Matthew, offering one post each week of Advent. What is Advent? It is the first season of the Christian church year, the four Sundays leading up to Christmas Day.

Ah, the church year. Unless you are part of a liturgical church, this can be somewhat mysterious. The church year follows the life of Christ and is a way for the church to keep the focus on Christ.


I confess, while I know the big picture, I’m not so good on all the details.

Now, back to Advent. It is a season observed as a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. Advent comes from the Latin word adventus, meaning coming and offers the opportunity to share in the ancient longing for the coming of the Messiah, and to be alert for his Second Coming.

As I said, I want to take a look at how Matthew presents the Christmas story and since I am really creative I am calling it, The Christmas Story from MatthewThis year Advent is December 3rd through December 24th. Here is my plan:

December 3 1st Week of Advent 
1:1-17  The book of the generation of Jesus Christ

December 10 2nd Week of Advent
1:18-25  Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise

December 17 3rd Week of Advent 
2:1-11 There came wise men from the east

December 24 4th Week of Advent
2:12-23 Out of Egypt have I called my son

My posts will be a little bit longer than usual. I plan to post once a week, Tuesday, to be precise, but I have discovered that I will need an additional post each week lest my posts turn into short books! Here are my planned second posts

1st Week  Messiah or Christ?
2nd Week He shall save his people from their sins
3rd Week  We have seen his star in the east
4th Week  Dreams & Visions

I hope you will follow along through the season and I pray the Lord will bless you and strengthen you in the grace and faith of our Lord Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment