This is Part 4 (of 7) in my series, Kingdom Principles: Authority
Let me begin by addressing the elephant in the room. I know that all of these passages deal with servants and masters. This was real life in Rome and the early church. Of course, I am not endorsing slavery or servanthood. What I am saying is I believe there are general principles here that relate to our attitude and conduct at work.
Employees - Be obedient (submission is implied); do your
job. v5,6,7 work as if you’re working for the Lord, not men. v8 Your company
may not reward you, but the Lord will.
Bosses / supervisors – do the same things unto them, that is, “Act in the same affectionate, conscientious manner towards your [employees] as they do towards you.”1
Similar to Ephesians. Obey, do your job: fearing the Lord; whatsoever you do, do it as unto the Lord; knowing the Lord will reward your attitude and actions; after
all, we are really serving Christ, even at work. You shall receive the reward.
“No matter what kind of a job I am doing, I am a witness for Jesus Christ ... I am giving an extra effort. I am not complaining. I am going an extra mile. I am doing more than what is required of me. That my life might be a good witness for Jesus Christ.”2 (See also 1 Timothy 6:1-2 and Titus 2:9-10)
And for those who own the company – pay your people, take care of them; you also have a master in heaven. James 5:1-4 speaks to the owner who doesn’t give what is just and equal.
Peter devotes the most space to this matter. He also only
addresses the servants. I think this is because there were mostly or only servants
who were believers in these churches. And notice how he dwells on suffering.
This is one of the themes of 1 Peter: the suffering for Christ they were
currently facing, which was only going to get worse (4:12 the fiery trial which is to try you)
Peter says: Submit to those over you, the good and gentle, as well as the difficult and ornery. Then he tells us how to endure the suffering: suffer for doing the right thing. Christ is our example in suffering: he did no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth, yet he was reviled, beaten, abused. And when he was reviled, beaten, and mocked, he didn’t threaten and reproach his tormentors. Instead he committed himself to the Father. Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps. This is powerful stuff. This is sobering: If, when you do well and suffer, you take if patiently, this is acceptable with God. What's really neat is the Greek word for acceptable is the word for grace (charis). Thayer's Greek English Lexicon gives as the first definition charis or grace, "properly, that which affords joy, pleasure, delight." We can please the Almighty! We delight the Him when we follow in the steps of our Lord, and when we suffer unjustly, we bear it patiently and commit ourselves to the Lord.
Peter’s focus then changes from Christ’s suffering as an example to Christ’s suffering as redemptive: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. This whole passage takes my breath away! All I can say is, Thank you, Lord!
NEXT: Authority and the
Church
1 Adam Clarke, commentary on Ephesians 6
2 Chuck Smith, sermon on Ephesians

No comments:
Post a Comment