Monday, May 30, 2011

What a night

We went to Augusta Sunday for Lucca K’s birthday party. I had to work Saturday and Sunday nights so I knew this would be fun. I got off Sunday morning and was able to sleep for about an hour. I slept most of the way down to Augusta and back and then for a few minutes before I went to work. Surprisingly, I felt pretty good. But what a night!

A man came in and went to the rest room. When he comes out he stands by the register with his hand down the back of his pants, like he is reaching for something. When I look over at him he says, “I’m looking for my wallet. Didn’t want you to be scared.” I said, being quick-witted despite my lack of sleep, “I’m not scared – but I’m not gonna help you!” He never found his wallet and left.

Then a woman comes in and buys $19.50 worth of gas. A few minutes later she comes back in and tells me she had driven off without pumping her gas. I look at the register and tell her, “Somebody pumped it.” She seems upset at having “no gas and no more money and having to drive back to Charlotte…” We talk about it for a while as I try to discern if she is scamming me and to figure out what to do. After a while I let her pump $19.50 more. I’m gonna wonder all night if this was a scam…

It had clearly been very slow all day. But when I got here BOOM I got people coming out of the woodwork! I can’t leave the register for 2 ½ hours. I am not looking forward to summer and hordes of young people all night every night…

Then a fellow comes in who works at Taco Bell. I see him a lot. He buys several items including a box Marlboros. He leaves but returns in a few minutes: “She wanted a Butterfinger instead of cigarettes. Can I switch?” I was incredulous, “How do you confuse cigarettes with a Butterfinger??” He has no answer so I switched it out for him.

That reminds me of an incident Saturday night. We have Camel Menthol and Menthol Silver on sale for a $1 off. Whenever people ask for either of these I always ask, “Do you want the $1 off pack?” Sounds like a stupid question, right? But I’m having fun and want them to think. Besides, the following has happened a few times: This guy came in and asked for Camel Menthol Silver. I asked my question and he got a confused look on his face. So I asked him, “Do you just want the regular box?” He looked relieved and said, “Yeah, it doesn’t matter.” Since it doesn’t matter to me either I gave him the full price box…

Then I get a phone call which I am too busy to take. But there is a message, “Look outside, the Goodyear blimp is flying by!” I go outside and sure enough, there it is. I call Mary back to let her know I had seen it. We talk about what we saw and then we wonder aloud where blimps go when they go home.

I am seeing a lot of men’s underwear tonight – all these guys with their pants down to their knees. I always wonder, Do girls today find this attractive? One guy comes in with satiny purple boxers. Woo-hoo! Last night some guy came in and while he was at the register, his pants fell off! I don’t have to make stuff up and this is just the stuff I can write about!

All this and it is only 12:30 am – hope I can stay awake till 6 am.

Post mortem report – I made it! One more night and my 7 night stretch is over!!

No comments:

Post a Comment