Friday, July 29, 2011

My shoe shopping adventure

I really don’t like to go shopping, but sometimes you just have to do it. And this was one of those times. My feet started bothering me at work. That had happened once before and I waited and waited and until I developed Plantar Fasciitis. I knew it was coming on again and that the only cure was to buy some new shoes. I kept putting it off. Finally, one day I woke up early went shopping.

Mary and Tiernan came with me. Tiernan and I went in search of shoes for me and Mary went looking for some for herself. I need to say at the beginning, I always have a very difficult time finding shoes that fit. At least in the shoe stores that I frequent. I have wide feet and I am very sensitive to every little thing that is wrong with the shoe. I know that I have passed this obsession on to some of my children. Anyway, we looked and tried shoes on until I finally found a pair that fit and looked decent. While searching I had found another pair of shoes that looked pretty cool. Since this store, whose name I can never remember (I just know where it is located!), always has Buy One Pair Get One Pair Half Off, I was going to pick up a couple of pairs of shoes!

Just a side note about me and shopping. One time when I went to this store to get some shoes, I had forgotten all about their BOGO policy. So I had mentally armed myself to buy one pair of shoes. At the checkout, the cashier reminded me of their sales policy and asked if I wanted to look for another pair. I responded, “Thank you, but I only came mentally prepared to buy one pair of shoes.” Whenever I mention that Mary just sighs.

Now to get back to my story. Here I was walking around with two pairs of shoes and I did not feel good about this at all. “Why do I need two pairs of new shoes?” So I put one down and said to Tiernan, “Let’s go find you a new pair of shoes.” We did. And Mary found some for herself.

So we went back home and I went back to bed so I could work that night. When I woke up I got dressed and put on my new shoes. And they were too big! What?!? How in the world did this happen?? I went to work that night with my old pair and boy did my feet hurt that night. I wasn’t going to go through that again.

The very next day I woke up and once again Mary and I wended our way right back to the store. This time Mary helped me find a pair. And we did. One that fits, too! She suggested I might need a new pair of flip flops/sandals. I tried this one and that one and the other one. She kept saying “They will stretch” or “You will get used to it.” But I know my neurosis better. I said, “Flip flops should feel comfortable the first time you put them on.” Then I put my feet in a pair and knew right away, “Yep, these are them.” And, since she was getting some shoes for work and these were already on sale, I got them for a song.

And that reminds me of a night some kids came into the store. They didn’t have enough money for a fountain drink so I told them if they would do a dance for me they could have a free drink. They danced and I let them get a free drink!

Now I have new shoes and my feet (and knees) don’t hurt all night long. And I am once again thinking that these will be the last pair of shoes I ever buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment