Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We went to Augusta on Monday

This week I was scheduled to be off on Sunday and Wednesday. Split days off are bad enough when you work 3rd shift but we had planned to go down and see Mary K on Monday – before Deuce is born. I don’t like to do this but I called the guy who works for me on my days off and arranged it so that I could indeed be off Sunday and Monday. That helped me and him, it turns out. So Mary fixed her schedule and it was set, we were going to Augusta on Monday. All we had to do now was call Mary K and see if it would fit into her plans! Since it did, our plans were set.

Monday morning dawned and I found out that Mary had not been able to sleep the night before. She stayed up and worked on her schooling and put a Boston Butt in the crockpot to make some BBQ. But, because she had to sleep some time, we left a little later than we had planned.

I guess we got there about 1:30. Just a few minutes after Mary K had laid Lucca k down for her nap :-( So we ate some BBQ. It was really good, even though I was distressed to learn that Mary K now applies mustard sauce to her BBQ! So we visited for a while and when I went out to check on Mary K’s tomato and pepper plants – they are huge and very fruitful! – I must have let the screen door bounce because the next thing I know, they are holding Lucca, saying the door had awakened her. It really was an accident, but one that had a happy ending!

We played with Lucca, see the video on fb and then went outside and walked around the yard and neighborhood with her while Mary took a “power nap.” We went back inside and woke Mary up and went for a ride to a nearby park but it was really too wet. We went back to the house and Mary wanted to see Lucca watch Tangled. I confess, I fell asleep during the movie. Ask Tiernan, that happens a lot!

Since it was now suppertime we decided to go to Pantera Bread. I was still rather full from the BBQ (I also had a slice of home made bread that Mary K had made) so I took pictures while they ate. Lucca K wasn’t really hungry either and after a while she started asking to go outside. It was so cute, she asked her mom and got nowhere so she looked at me with a look that said, “I know you will not let me down – Outside?” And I didn’t let her down! I’ve been doing this with the grandchildren since Aimee was born. I picked her up and out we went.

We were at a strip mall, and there was another one across the street. Anyway, we walked to the end of the sidewalk to a graveled break between where we were and yet another strip mall. There was a fence and a sign that said, St. Andrew Presbyterian Church. Since it was a driveway and an open gate, in we went. Ask my girls and grandchildren, this is not at all unusual. And we discovered a little oasis. This church has a really  nice building and grounds, it is designed like a sanctuary in the midst of the commercial madness around it. We wandered around, tried a door or two, and discovered a little playground. And then after a while we returned to the restaurant.

What a great day and visit. But now it was time to come back to Rock Hill. I thought about driving home but told Mary, “With it being both night AND raining, you probably better drive.” I realize this was a wise decision since my night vision is not very good anymore and in the rain it is near terrible, but can you fathom how bad this makes you feel? I told Mary that and then asked her if she could just put a blanket across my lap!

A good day and great visit. You can see a few pictures on my fb here  Next time down will probably be to see Deuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment