Monday, January 16, 2012

Sunday night was slow so I thought about

It was really slow last night so I had a lot of time to think various thinks. And to take notes.

I thought about some more the 40 years Moses spent in the desert and hope to make a post about that tonight or tomorrow.

Then I thought about infant baptism and plan a facebook note about that.

Before I left for work I watched part of a movie called The Final Countdown. It’s about a 1980s aircraft carrier that travels back in time to December 6, 1941. Mary got to see the whole movie but since I had to leave I will watch the rest of it later today. I have seen it before but it got me to thinking about

Time Travel

People always say (in movies about time travel) that if you can / when you do go back in time you must be careful not to change anything because that would alter the future, which is your present.  Really? The future has already happened so if you changed something it must have been part of the past anyway! For example, could you go back in time and somehow prevent your parents from having you? No! because then you would not exist to go back to the past etc. So, time travel is simply not possible! Besides, if you went back too far you couldn’t understand anyone or be understood. And I’m convinced that we would probably starve if we tried to eat what they ate two hundred years and more ago.

Still, I have always loved the thought of being able to go back to some period in time but always been afraid that if I traveled back in time I would arrive in the middle of a tree no one knew was there! Now that’s a bad day, today or yesterday! But I repeat, it just isn’t possible. Time is a straight line. The past is fixed and unalterable. Nor does it co-exist with the future. And speaking of the future, one of my favorite quotes is “Every step you take is a step into the future.”

Beam me up, Scotty

I have completely thought this through before but I was reminded of it last night. Star Trek had a transporter by which they “beamed” down to planets and other space-craft. And the guy in the movie The Fly had one too. “Help me!” Anyway, I have concluded that transporters will never work either. And why not? Because we are more than the matter that makes up our bodies. We have a soul. And when you take a body apart like that, you lose the soul. Besides, we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Even with all that modern medicine can do, I don’t believe they could reassemble all of my parts exactly as they were before!

Do I really think about these things? Oh yeah. And it is even easier when I am up all night and not really mentally challenged!!

No comments:

Post a Comment