Monday, April 30, 2012

A collection of random thoughts


Just a collection of random thoughts, too many and too long for fb posts.

Yesterday I woke up a good bit later than I had sort of planned. Either 2:45 or 3:45, can’t remember now. Then I realized I had taken dayquill before I went to sleep. But no matter, I felt great all day! It’s not often I feel great (a hazard of working nights and sleeping days), much less on my first day off.

Mary had told me Saturday night that she planned to go to Bible Covenant Church Sunday. They are in York and have an 11 am service. I thought about it but I knew I would be sleepy (as in nodding off during prayer sleepy) there and then either feel terrible the rest of the day or if I got sleep I would be up all night. I stayed home and slept. When I woke up, Mary was still gone. Good choice – I felt better all day, Mary got to go to church AND out to eat with friends. Win-win.

Tiernan called and wanted to come over. I picked him up and we went to Queen City Appliance to get a water filter for the refrigerator. But they were closed. I mean never to open again. No matter, I’ll order it online. It’s a beautiful day. I decided I wanted BBQ for supper (Mary was supposed to work that night and I would pick it up when I took Tiernan home). Mary was put “on call” and we still went with BBQ. So at 8, she stayed home to watch her show (Amazing Race) and I drove to Burke’s. Turns out they are closed on Sundays. Went home and we all watched Amazing Race. At 9 it was time to take Tiernan home and we’d had no supper. So it was Burger King for him and Mary asked if I wanted a hamburger from Fatz CafĂ©. Sure. Well, they close at 9! Tiernan said we oughta try The Cookout. Another great suggestion by Tiernan! They were open and the food was really good. Their milkshakes are good too. I admit, hamburger, fries and a milkshake are probably not the best thing to eat at 10 pm, but I’m a grown-up. And I’m off today!!

Mary told me that Harris Teeter (grocery store) had Mayfield ice cream on sale – buy 2 get 3 free. But when she was there Saturday night they only had two chocolate and two vanilla. So my plan was to find out when the Mayfield guy delivered and go then. Last night I had a long dream: I was at Harris Teeter the day the ice cream was delivered. It was all stacked behind the service desk waiting to be stocked. I was picking out the flavors I wanted. I even jumped the counter so I could see better. I remember two details from the dream – I asked the worker if a particular stack was included and she said, “No.” Then I saw that is was Breyers. Even in my dreams I gravitate to the best ice cream. Then I noticed that the Mayfield Mint Chocolate Chip was white instead of green. And I had a conundrum, is there something wrong with it or do I get it anyway?

I woke up this morning at 5 am. My nose stuffed up. I have been wrestling with either a cold or allergies this week. That’s why I have been taken dayquill. And it was hot.

I have noticed that the last week it has gotten hotter. Two weeks ago I would come home from work or wake up in the morning and it would be 60-65 in the house. This week it has been 70-71. When I woke up this morning it was 74°. Is it global warming or has spring fully sprung? Either way, I am so glad I have an attic fan. I have always wanted an attic fan. Don’t get to use it as often as I would like because I work nights and sleep days. But I turned it on this morning and in 15 minutes the temperature had dropped to 71°! And down to 70 in the next 15!

And speaking of attic fans, did you know that in California they call them “whole house fans”? Call it what you will, I like mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment