Saturday, October 19, 2013

To do justly or Gottes Wort halten

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8

We sang the Maranatha! Praise version of this chorus in church a few weeks ago. I thought at the time, “Wow, we could end church right now!” I began meditating on this verse and a couple of weeks after that I decided to search the Old Testament for the words justly and mercy in order to get a better understanding. Oh my, lots of verses!

I recently finished justly. I was rather surprised at what I found. Before this study, I would have completely agreed with one of my favorite commentators, “To do justly; to give to all their due.” I was startled to learn that on this verse he had not done his homework! Let’s do ours.

First, the Hebrew word translated justly is mishpat. That tells you everything, right? Well, I confess, not me. I did learn, though, that the basic meaning of mishpat is judgment.

Second, I learned that mishpat occurs quite often, over 400 times in the Old Testament! And yes, I read through every single one. This must be a very important word and concept, since it occurs so often and in nearly every book of the Old Testament.

Third, it is translated by a lot of different English words. Some of them: judgment, manner, right, cause, ordinance. That’s because it is used in a variety of ways. And that is what I found so surprising. And helpful.

and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do judgment. Judgment is often used to refer to just that, judgment. By God or by human leaders.  But judgment is also one of the words used by God concerning the Law. Commandments, statutes, ordinances, judgments. Now the light is getting brighter. I came to the conclusion that to do judgment meant to keep the Law, obey the Word. I have often read that to do justly means to do the right thing. And that is correct, except we’re still left with, What is the right thing? But when we understand mishpat (judgment), that question is answered. In the Law He gave His judgments, what is the right thing to do. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

And in speaking of the coming Messiah, we read in Isaiah 42
1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.  
2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.  
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.  
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law. 

Messiah will bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. Is that not what he did? “You have heard it said…but I say...”

And in some collateral reading I came across Martin Luther’s translation of to do justly, Gottes Wort halten. Oh yeah, that is as helpful as mishpat! Well, Gottes Wort halten in plain English is keep God’s Word. Amen! Martin Luther agrees with me! Well, I should say, I came to the same conclusion he did, just a few years before me.

Anyway, the thing that mattered the most to God in the Old Testament was this, that a man should keep His commandments. He hath showed thee, O man, what is good, and what doth the Lord require of thee but to keep his word. And while this verse is never quoted in the New Testament, is this not the same thing taught by Christ?

if any many love me he will keep my commandments

And the Apostles picked up on this:

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments

This is really cool. Really plain. Straightforward and simple. and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to Gottes Wort halten, keep God’s Word. Jesus Christ has brought forth judgment to the Gentiles, in his own teaching and through his apostles. What is good and what does God require of me? but to do these judgments, to Gottes Wort halten, keep God’s Word.

In Isaiah 26:8-9 we read
Yea, in the way of thy judgments, O LORD, have we waited for thee; the desire of our soul is to thy name, and to the remembrance of thee.
With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.
Where am I going to find God? in the way of his judgments, that is, by walking in the truth and ordering my life by his Word. Then I will learn righteousness. Amen.

Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually.
Hosea 12:6


He hath showed thee, O man, what is good, and what doth the Lord require of thee but to
Gottes Wort halten

No comments:

Post a Comment