Monday, September 1, 2014

Well, that was horrible

Dave and I went kayaking today. A trip that turned out, well horrible!

I picked the route: begin at the red dot on top and end at the red dot on the bottom. Second mis-pick in a row. Someone else needs to pick my next trip.

If someone says (or you think), “It can’t be that bad.” It will be worse.

The Edisto River has no current. We knew the high tide would have an impact on the first part of the trip, but we banked on the river’s current after high tide. There is no current. The first part of the trip, to Raccoon Island was like a lake. A lake with a current going upriver. As we rounded Raccoon Island we encountered strong head winds, which created a current upriver, and waves. You could not stop paddling. If you were close to shore (attempting to avoid the current) you were shoved into the marsh. If you were out from the shore, you immediately went backwards. After a while, Dave paddled up to me and said, “This is officially no longer any fun.” I responded, “Oh, the fun disappeared two hours ago!”

Things on the water are always further away than thfy look.

I confess, after a while my language got rather salty.

I officially and publicly thank Jesus that we made it. It was in doubt toward the end. I was so tired – tired? I was exhausted – I was not sure I could cross one more turbulent area. I was taking small steps, Let me just make it to that bunch of grass etc And my prayer was literally, Lord, give me enough strength to make it across the river…or send a boat close to me to pick me up!”

I took some photos but stopped after a while because the current was so strong. Here is our starting photo

No photo at the end, I was too tired. But a lady we did not know offered, "You boys look pooped." Yeah.

I made it. I am not going kayaking tomorrow. I almost didn’t even tie them onto the trailer. But I thought, It’s not their fault so I will…”

To sum it up, this did not go as I envisioned!! And boy did we get sunburned!

No comments:

Post a Comment