Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Psalm 11 What can the righteous do?

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?


What an excellent question! As we look around us I think it is safe to say that the foundations are crumbling: our moral bearings, righteousness in the land, the family, the church. In times like these, “what can the righteous do?” I believe the answer to the question is in the Psalm.

Here is the entire Psalm:

1    In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?
2    For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string,
      that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart.
3    If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
4    The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD'S throne is in heaven:
      his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
5    The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
6    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest:
      this shall be the portion of their cup.
7    For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

The foundations are being thrown down and the wicked are emboldened to attack the righteous. The situation is disquieting, to say the least. And the righteous man is told to Flee as a bird to your mountain. What can the righteous do?

His answer actually opens the Psalm, in the Lord put I my trust. Amen! I put my trust in the Lord. Not in men, government, money, but in the Lord. What can the righteous do? Trust in the Lord! The world laughs at us for this and quite honestly, the flesh struggles with this. “The foundations are being destroyed and you want me to trust in the Lord?” Yes. This Psalm presents three levels of faith but it begins with this, Put your trust in the Lord.

Habakkuk is an example of this. The foundations were being destroyed in his day and he cried out to the Lord. He got an answer he didn’t like or understand (ch 1). In 2:1-5 we read his response,I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me . . . And the LORD answered me, and said . . . the just shall live by his faith. Put your trust in the Lord.

When the disciples began to realize that Jesus was going away, their foundation was being destroyed. What did Jesus tell them? Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  Put your trust in the Lord!

The Beatles sang, "When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be." But they got it wrong. In times of trouble, Put your trust in the Lord!

I said there are three levels of faith spoken of in Psalm 11. Put your trust in the Lord is the first. The second level is in v 4, The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD'S throne is in heaven… God is on the throne. He is in control. So he becomes my confidence. When the times they are a-changing my confidence is in the unchanging God. There is a difference between I put my trust in the Lord and the Lord is my confidence. Consider money. So often I trust the Lord for an emergency but my confidence is in the economy or my job. Am I at the place where the Lord is my confidence, my hope?

My confidence and my faith is strengthened when I read, his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men. This is judgment. God has the final word. He will make all things right. I trust in the Lord, he is my confidence, and I know he will prevail. He will reward the righteous.

So, is that it? When the foundations are being destroyed do we just put our trust in the Lord? No. That is our foundation, that is what will get us through, but this faith leads us on: the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright. What can the righteous do? Live righteously. When everything around us is falling apart, we live righteously. Living for Jesus has become a cultural thing, but it was never meant to be that. We go against the grain. This is a narrow way and as Jesus said, If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. When everything around us is lax and unrighteousness is the cool and acceptable thing, we live righteously.

What can the righteous do? Trust in the Lord and live righteously. This is easy when everyone else around you is living righteously, but when the foundations are being destroyed it's not that way. Sometimes we may be the only ones living righteously and suffering for it.

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Tradition tells us that as they were about to put Antipas to death they gave him one more chance to deny Christ, when he refused they cried out, "Antipas, the whole world is against you!" He replied, "Then Antipas is against the whole world." 

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? Trust in the Lord and live righteously; even if you are the only one; even if you are persecuted for living righteously.

I have decided to follow Jesus (3x)
No turning back, no turning back

Tho none go with me, still I will follow (3x)
No turning back, no turning back

No comments:

Post a Comment