Monday, June 29, 2015

What are you going to do now?

February 14, 2008. That was the day I began my life at Petro Express (which became Kangaroo Express, and will soon become Circle K). I remember that day well. There was a man who had robbed several convenience stores and shot the clerks despite their cooperation, he robbed the store down the road that day, and shot the clerk. There were deputies everywhere looking for him. I recall one deputy walking in the store, talking on the phone and saying, “And we don’t think he’s done.” What a beginning!

They caught him by the way. After another robbery. And although I was robbed once, it wasn’t by him. And I wasn’t shot!

July 1, 2015. My last day at Kangaroo Express. That’s right, my last day. After 7 ½ years I am quitting.

I have told a few people and they always ask the same two questions:

Why?
What are you going to do now?


Why?
The answer is complex and has many layers. I can summarize it this way: it was time, and certain things happened which gave me the freedom to take this step.


What are you going to do now?
I confess, I have nothing lined up yet. As I told a friend, my plan is (1) escape Circle K, (2) go to Ohio for a week (3) look for something else. I told Mary I could go on EBT, but she didn’t like that!


I have met some neat people and made a few friends. I will miss the interaction with some of the people but I am glad to be getting out. No idea what I will be doing, but did I mention I am glad to be getting out?

No comments:

Post a Comment