Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Revelation of Jesus Christ (part 2)

As I wrote earlier, “I planned to read the Book of Revelation for my vacation study. At the last minute I refined it – I decided to see how Revelation describes Jesus Christ.” My plan was to glide through the book looking for the names and titles ascribed to Jesus. This brought an extra blessing, rather than being absorbed in the details, I was able to see the big picture.

I used to say about the book of Revelation, “This is not a catalog of end time events, it's a revelation of Jesus Christ.” Doesn’t that sound good? I based my opinion on the first verse of chapter one, The Revelation of Jesus Christ… I had to change my mind a little. What did I see in my week of reading?

1. The book opens up with this statement, The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him to show unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass. While the book is not simply a catalog of end time events, it was given to show us things which must come to pass. It is not my intention to interpret the events described in the book, I’m simply pointing out that the book does describe events which must shortly come to pass.

2. As I said, I used to declare that the book was a revelation of Jesus Christ. And that's how I approached my reading of it my week of vacation. But my reading revealed something I guess I hadn't noticed before. Jesus is an important figure in the book, and plays a key role in the end time events described herein, but Jesus is not the central or dominant character. God is. This book reveals to us that God is in control, that God has a plan, and that God will see to it that his plan is carried out. I think this explains why there are a few chapters (4,8,9,10,18) that do not mention Jesus at all, while no chapter goes without mentioning God. Before any events happen on earth, we have a vision of heaven. And there is the encouragement for us, God is on the throne, God is in control.

3. And this is one of the main purposes of the book, to offer encouragement. No matter what is going on around us, God is on the throne. If our lives now can look and feel like things are out of control, just imagine the days of the end: there are seals opened, trumpets blasting, vials poured out, Antichrist, wars, persecutions - it certainly looks and feels like things are totally out of control. But be of good courage: God is on the throne! This is why worship is mentioned so often throughout the book. And oh how rich is this worship!

4. Flowing out of this encouragement is the exhortation to keep the faith. This book describes a time when the beast will make war on the saints and overcome them. Tribulation, persecution, and martyrdom are recurring themes. But the saints, despite being persecuted, harried, and martyred, overcome the devil and the beast and the world by their faith. They are described as those who keep the faith, have the testimony of Jesus and hold the faith of Jesus. The world thinks that if you die you lose. But this book tells us, that if you die and keep your faith, you win. You win big! So I suppose we could sum it up this way, “Don't you dare quit. You…keep...holding on.”

5. So if God is the main character of the book, where does Jesus fit into this? And who is this Jesus? He's the one who rose from the dead - I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. He is the Lamb: he has redeemed us from our sins by his blood; he has made us kings and priests unto God; he has restored us to God and made us the people of God. He is also the Prince of the kings of the earth; the King of kings and Lord of lords. Jesus is the one who brings to pass God's purpose: by his sacrifice he saves us and with his return he establishes God's kingdom on the earth. Amen. He also describes himself with some of the same words used by God. God is described as the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. Jesus calls himself, the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. This is why Jesus is also worshiped throughout this book. Ah, this book is a revelation of Jesus: he is the Lamb; he is the one who rose from the dead; he is the root and offspring of David; he is the Alpha and the Omega; he is the King of kings and Lord of Lords. He is to be worshiped!

So, don’t get lost in the trumpets and seals, the two witnesses and the beast, and Babylon the great. See God on the throne, and Jesus, the Lion and the Lamb. Keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. And worship him who sits on the throne, and the Lamb that was slain!


And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment