Friday, March 10, 2017

My MRI experience


this is our destination. downtown Charlotte
1. I was ferried up there and back by Dennis Davis. Thank you, Dennis!

2. I had indicated that I just might be slightly claustrophobic so they gave me Adavan (to relieve anxiety). This was why they said I needed a driver. Adavan begins working quickly and I started to feel good. I also began having a hard time walking straight and following orders – Dennis several times grabbed my arm and said, “It is this way.” And let me tell you, Do Not lean forward while on Adavan because the tendency is to keep on falling forward!

the machine. you lay down on the flat bed-like thing and they insert you into the giant ball. it is always on
and the room is magnetized constantly, I had to stand at the door to take this photo

3. They led me to the machine itself and said, “Lay down here.” He then asked if I needed a blanket? (“It is kinda chilly, so he got a sheet. Perfect); How about a washcloth on my face? (I am felling good, Sure). Do you want ear plugs (it is loud) or ear phones to listen to Pandora? Can I pick the music? Sure, what would you like? George Kahumoku (classic Hawaiian hula music). That’s what I got! Although the machine is so loud that it is difficult to hear.

4. I’m ready so they slide me into the tube and I’m there for 20 minutes. It is very loud! And I would like to say I felt every ray they shot into my shoulder and body, but that may have been the Adavan!
At one point the noise subsided and I could hear a woman’s voice, “How are you doing? We’re getting a little movement, can you stop breathing?” Again, that may have been the Adavan. I was slid back in for more of the same. Then she came on and “Almost done. Six more minutes.”

5. Then it was over! Twenty minutes is not that long. They pulled me out of the tube, removed the sheet and washcloth, and told me I could now stand up. I asked them to help me get up; they did. “OK, you can sit there for a while and get you bearings before you try to get up. And just to let you know, we have wheelchairs if you feel you need them.” I was standing up by this time and I declared, “Whatever else happens, I am walking out of here.” And I did.

It is really too bad that the MRI only diagnosis problems and doesn’t cure them! I probably could have done this without the Adavan, but the Adavan felt good. Everybody told me I had to have a driver because of the Adavan. But I can tell you, I could have done it. I have driven, let me just say, you would be shocked and scared for me if you knew some of the conditions I have (safely) driven under!!

It’s over and now I await my Tuesday visit to the Doctor to explain the results of this test, which are probably going to be surgery to repair the rotator cuff. Wednesday we leave for New Mexico for a ten day trip out west, hanging out with Erica & Dan so surgery will most likely be the last week of March of first week in April. Everything seems to be moving quickly now.

One final note. The doctor’s office said I would be in “la-la land” all day and told me today not to drive all day. I was a little disappointed. I was introduced to la-la land, but we really didn't hang out . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment