Friday, November 10, 2017

Let your faith . . . be in Christ


A friend posted this on Facebook and commented, “I’m trying.” I have no doubt they are. But there is a subtle and dangerous error in this proverb.

What?? Everyone knows faith is good and fear is the bad guy. And every preacher and teacher leading us on into the abundant life talks about faith. A.B. Simpson+ wrote an excellent book entitled, A Larger Christian Life. The very first chapter, The Possibilities of Faith, lists nine things that are possible to faith. And the tenth one is:

“But beyond all that has been said this promise means that all things are possible to him that believeth... The meaning of this promise in its fullness is that faith may claim a complete life. God is waiting to give you all, and all things are possible to him that believeth.”

So, yes, faith is the key to receiving from God blessings and victory. And lack of faith is sure to keep the same blessings and victory from you. So where is the subtle and dangerous error in this proverb? In what it implies and what it omits.

Let you faith be greater than your fears. If you wish to overcome your fears, you must have a faith bigger than your fears. The implication being, well not really an implication but direct statement, it is faith itself that conquers fear. Therefore, get you a really big faith so you can whup up on your fears. This is nothing less than faith in faith; and is really faith in you, in yourself, in something in you (faith). And this is destructive.

Faith is always in something. Fear is really faith in an inadequate object. In order to conquer that fear I need faith in something more adequate, more powerful, more bigger. The faith that justifies, sanctifies, heals, leads to victory and answered prayer, that results in power, peace, and joy is belief/trust/confidence IN JESUS. This is the omission. Faith can’t do anything. Faith can’t get me justified or give me peace, but Jesus can. Jesus is bigger than my sins, my sickness, my troubles, my temptations, my fears. "Have faith in God."

"There came a time when even faith seemed to come between me and Jesus. I thought I should have to work up the faith, so I labored to get the faith. At last I thought I had it; that if I put my whole weight upon it, it would hold. I said, when I thought I had got the faith, "Heal me." I was trusting in myself, in my own heart, in my own faith. I was asking the Lord to do something for me because of something in me, not because of something in Him. So the Lord allowed the devil to try my faith, and the devil devoured it like a roaring lion, and I found myself so broken down that I did not think I had any faith. God allowed it to be taken away until I felt I had none. And then God seemed to speak to me so sweetly, saying, "Never mind, my child, you have nothing. But I am perfect Power, I am perfect Love, I am Faith, I am your Life, I am the preparation for the blessing, and then I am the Blessing, too. I am all within and all without, and all for ever." (A.B. Simpson)

You see, it’s not me. I’m not adequate. I can’t handle the devil. Or sin. I’m not enough. I can’t muster up enough ‘faith’ either. I’ll blow up my big balloon of faith and the devil will simply pop it. My own temptations are stronger than me! It would seem I’ve got good reasons to be afraid. Yet the Lord says continually, “Fear not.” How do I get victory over fear?

“When I was first saved, I heard a story about a young girl who knew the meaning of victory very well. During the Keswick Convention, a man asked the little girl how she overcame when the devil came to her. She answered, "In the past, if the devil came to knock at my front door, as soon as he knocked, I would say, `Don’t come in. Don’t come in.’ But the result was always a failure. Now when the devil knocks at my door, I say, `Lord, You open the door for me.’ If the Lord opens the door, and the devil sees the Lord, he will say, `Sorry, I came to the wrong door,’ and he will run away." ” (Watchman Nee*, The Overcoming Life)

Faith bigger than our fears? How big does our faith need to be? Actually, not very big at all, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Again, it’s not the size or strength of my faith, it is the size and strength of the One I believe in!

It is true, if you would be justified, sanctified, healed, filled with peace and joy, have your prayers answered, be an overcomer, you must have faith. But it’s not faith itself, or faith in faith, or faith in my confession, or anything else in me. I must have faith in Jesus. We need to keep our eyes on Jesus. He alone is the Savior, the Lord, the Conqueror, the Overcomer. 

Let your faith be in Jesus. He is bigger than all your fears.



Look unto me, and be ye saved, 
all the ends of the earth:
for I am God, and there is none else.


Fainting soldier of the Lord
Hear His sweet inspiring word— 
"I have conquered all thy foes
I have suffered all thy woes
Struggling soldier, trust in Me, 
I have overcome for thee." 

"I have overcome, overcome, overcome for thee; 
Thou shalt overcome, overcome, overcome thro' Me."  (A.B. Simpson)



+ A.B. Simpson 1843-1919; successful Presbyterian pastor who left the Presbyterians to start a deeper life and missionary organization called the Christian & Missionary Alliance

* Watchman Nee 1903-1972; Chinese teacher and evangelist; died in prison

No comments:

Post a Comment