Sunday, December 24, 2017

With all my heart, yet each one differently

When Anne, my first daughter was born, I loved her with all my heart. What a joy and delight she was!

Three years later her sister was born. As the time drew near for her to join the family, I had an internal struggle - “I love Anne with all my heart, will I have any love left for Sarah?” When she was born I made an amazing discovery – I loved her with all my heart!!

Four years later, Mary K arrived. Y’know what? I loved her with all my heart!

Two years later Erica Jane put in her appearance. Yep, with all my heart!

This is incredible – four daughters, one heart, yet I love each one of them with all my heart. No sharing of love. No dividing of love. Each one with my whole heart. If you asked each one privately they might say I loved one more than the others - but they would be wrong.

Some time ago I had another insight: While I love each one with all my heart, I love them differently. What? I love them individually. It is not some generic thing, like a blanket that covers the whole bed. No, it is person specific. I can’t really explain it, but I love Anne, and Sarah, and Mary K, and Erica, each in their own way.

Merry Christmas, girls. I love you with all my heart - yet each one differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment