Thursday, January 11, 2018

Portraits of faith - Joseph

In my advent series, The Christmas Story in Matthew 1 & 2, I mentioned the faith of Joseph and Mary. As I pondered this, I realized all those folks in Matthew 1 & 2 (as well as in Luke 1 & 2) teach us many things about faith that would be worth looking into.

I wanted to call this Dioramas of faith but I was concerned that some people might not remember what a diorama was!

Instead I am calling this Portraits of faith. I will look at the characters in these four chapters, in the order they appear, and see what I can learn about faith. It follows then that I will begin with Joseph.

Joseph - faith to obey

First up is Joseph and his encounters with angels. All these are found in Matthew 1 & 2

1:20, 24  But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost . . . Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

2:13-14  And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

2:19-21  But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life. And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.

2:22-23  But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

OK, we see that Joseph had a lot of dreams, but how does this illustrate faith? I don’t see faith mentioned one time. Well, clearly Joseph believed what the angels told him; he believed this to be the word of the Lord to him and for his situation. And what does this say about Joseph's faith? Each time he had a visit from an angel, he believed what he was told to do was from God, and he did it. Every time. Immediately. Joseph had faith to obey

As I pointed out in my Advent series, “When you believe you obey: obedience springs from faith. Faith and obedience are like Siamese twins – you never see one without the other.” If I say I believe but I don't obey, then I do not have saving, sanctifying faith; I do not have the faith that pleases God. Throughout the entire Bible, whenever someone believed the Lord it affected what they did; and whenever folks did not obey they were charged with unbelief (Hebrews 3:17-19). Rather than singing the song of Israel in the wilderness, "I don't believe and won't obey", I would prefer my song to be:

I'll say yes, Lord, yes
To Your will and to Your way
I'll say yes, Lord, yes
I will trust You and obey
When the Spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I'll agree
And my answer will be
Yes, Lord, yes  (Lynn Edward Keesecker, 1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment