Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Salvation to the end of the earth

The Life and Ministry of the Christ in Isaiah
Isaiah 49

“In this chapter the Messiah is introduced, declaring the full extent of his commission, which is not only to be Savior to the Jews, but also to the Gentiles. The power and efficacy of his word is reprehended by apt images; the ill success of his ministry among the Jews is intimated, and the great success of the Gospel among the Gentiles.” (Adam Clarke)

“This is a prophecy concerning Christ, and redemption by him; and of the enlargement of the church in the latter day, by the conversion of Jews and Gentiles.” (John Gill)

We are still in the section of Isaiah where he speaks often of the servant of the Lord (40-53). Many times (especially in 40-48) the servant is Israel the nation, but as Michael Brown* says, “The references to the servant as an individual come into clearest focus beginning with Isaiah chapter 49 and continuing through the end of chapter 53. The servant is clearly an individual in Israel in 49:1-7, where the servant is tasked with a mission to the nation.” +

Now let’s consider the prophecy:

1  Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
“The character and office of the Messiah was exhibited in general terms at the beginning of chap. 42; but here he is introduced in person, declaring the full extent of his commission, which is not only to restore the Israelites, but to be a light to lighten the Gentiles.” (Clarke) At the beginning it is clear that the mission of Christ extends to the isles, the people from far, the Gentiles.

The LORD hath called me from the womb – Jesus did not assume this honor, nor did he exalt himself, he was called by the Father to the office of a Mediator; to be Prophet, Priest, and King; to be the Savior and Redeemer of men. (Gill)

from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name – Was this not fulfilled in Matthew 1:18-21, When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost...while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS.

2  And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me
Christ is the Word of God in his person and he came preaching the Word of God in his ministry.

3  And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
If this is a prophecy of Christ, why does it say, Thou art my servant Israel? This is part of the servant section In Isaiah. In 40-48 the emphasis is on Israel the nation as the servant of the Lord; but in 49 Isaiah begins to focus on an individual as the servant, namely Christ. “It is clearly speaking of an individual Israelite who has a mission to his people...he fulfills the mission of the nation.” (Michael Brown)

4  Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.
Christ, sent by God into the world, to His people Israel, seems to have labored in vain - he was rejected and crucified. But, “this is not to be understood of his sufferings and death, which were not in vain, but issued in the redemption and salvation of his people; but of his ministry and miracles, and fatiguing journeys among the Jews; which, with respect to them, were in vain, as to their conversion and reformation; they rejecting the Messiah, slighting his doctrines and miracles, refusing to be gathered by him, being a faithless and perverse generation.” (Gill)

5  And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.
Though Israel be not gathered – Jesus said, O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! (Matthew 23:37)

yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord - This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses ... being by the right hand of God exalted ... Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:32-36). Yes, glorious!

6  And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
It is a light thing...to raise up the tribes of Jacob – Christ will restore the preserved of Israel.

I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles – Christ was sent by God to enlighten the benighted Gentiles.

that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth – This takes your breath away! When Christ came and was crucified in Jerusalem, Rome was the end of the earth. Then Britain and Ireland, then America, then China, then Irian Jaya. And the word of Christ has come to them all. Salvation to the end of the earth!

The rest of the chapter explains more fully the salvation the Messiah will provide. In verses 1-6 it is Christ speaking, now it is thus saith the LORD

7-13 Salvation to the Gentiles
8 Thus saith the LORD ... I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth...
9  That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
10  They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.
13  Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

14-26 Salvation to Israel
14  But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.
15  Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
22  Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.


The Almighty promised to send Christ to be His servant and bring salvation to Jew and Gentile. He has fulfilled this promise in Jesus of Nazareth, whom he has made both Lord and Christ. And now Christ says to us,

I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.


<>< <>< <><

* Michael L. Brown was born in a Jewish home and became a believer in Jesus in 1971. He holds a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures from New York University and has served as a visiting or adjunct professor at Southern Evangelical Seminary, Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary (Charlotte), Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Fuller Theological Seminary, Denver Theological Seminary, the King’s Seminary, and Regent University School of Divinity, and he has contributed numerous articles to scholarly publications, including the Oxford Dictionary of Jewish Religion and the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament.

+ You can the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment