Thursday, November 1, 2018

Armed Guards At Church?

On October 27, 2018, eleven people were killed, and seven were injured when a gunman attacked Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, PA. This was evil. May God have mercy on those grieving.

I only give cursory attention to the news, but I did hear that President Trump called for armed guards at all houses of worship. When I googled that this morning I learned that there are synagogues that have been doing this for years; and that there are rabbis that go to synagogue armed.

After the shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, TX, where 26 were killed and 20 wounded, I saw a poll asking whether church members should go to church armed. The poll results were a resounding Yes, with many commenting, “Heck yeah! I’m not going to be a sitting duck for anybody!” (That would be the sentiment, not necessarily the actual words.)

Should there be armed guards at all houses of worship? I am not speaking for Jews, or Muslims, or any other faith that regularly meets for worship, but I am speaking as a Christian for Christian assemblies. In other words, what I say should not be taken as a reflection on armed guards at synagogues or mosques. I am only seeking to offer an opinion on the question, Should churches have armed guards at their services? Should church members come to church armed?

No.

That was easy. Why not?

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matthew 5:43-44)

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?   As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. (Romans 8:35-37, emphasis mine)

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19-21, empahsis mine)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

If the church I am attending announced they were hiring armed guards to protect us at every service or began encouraging members to come armed, I would leave. This is not about the right to own and near arms. I fully support this. But our faith is in God, not the sword. God is our refuge and our strength. I believe it would be incompatible with the gospel.

I’m sure that if you cross-examined me on this you would find inconsistencies in my answers. I can think of some myself before you ever ask me the first question! I’m simply offering my opinion on whether churches should hire armed security guards. In my opinion the answer is No.

No comments:

Post a Comment