Monday, October 28, 2019

The power of a testimony


We went up to Tennessee this past weekend and Sunday we attended Johnson City Alliance Church. I could write about the worship and the brethren there we knew, but I want to focus on something else.

A part of their worship time is called “Kiddie Korner”. They invite all the children to come to the front of the auditorium for a teaching on their level. Since the pastor was planning to teach James 4:4-10, the passage for the children was from verse 7, Submit yourselves therefore to God. The sister who was teaching the children focused on the word submit. She explained the meaning of submit and had an interesting visual illustration. Near the beginning of her teaching she gave each child a piece of candy, at some point during her explanation of submit she asked who was willing to give up their piece of candy. I think every child but one surrendered their piece of candy. Then at the end she gave the children who had surrendered their candy something bigger, better, or more - I couldn’t see, but it was clearly a better thing than that original piece of candy. Then I heard her say, “Oh, now she wants to give up her candy!” Oh I was so hoping she would say the right thing now…and she did: “It’s never too late to submit God.” Oh, Amen!!

Right there was the power of a testimony. When this little girl saw what happened for those who trusted the teacher and surrendered their candy, she was willing to do the same.

So what am I saying?

We ought to teach and preach about salvation through faith in Jesus, the baptism with the Holy Spirit, the power of prayer, joy unspeakable and full of glory, peace that passes understanding, healing, full surrender, and more! There’s power in the Word, in the promises, and people will be led into life and life more abundant through such teaching. But, if all we do is preach/teach it then we run the risk of this becoming mere theology, a doctrine to give mental assent to and nothing more. Ah, but when a brother or sister stands up and says, “I heard about how Jesus saves sinners, and when I believed in him he saved me!” I’m telling you there’s power in that!

Man, this is like signs following. It’s good to teach about the baptism with the Spirit, what it is and how to receive it. There’s power in teaching the Word. But, next week when a brother comes to the meeting and says, “I just want to let y’all know, last week he told us about this baptism with the Spirit; well, I went home and sought Jesus, and he filled me with the Holy Spirit. It’s real, man, praise Jesus!” There’s power in that too!!

This is true for all of the Word: prayer, joy, peace, victory. Folks need to hear the full gospel of Christ, that’s the only way their going to know about and enter into their inheritance. There is power in the Word, in the promises, and in the faith that claims them. Amen! Hallelujah! But there is also power in testifying.

This pretty much describes the book of Psalms. They are songs of testimony. Very few of them (if any) are doctrinal treatises. No, they are songs of fear, doubt, trouble, tribulation, struggles, and how God rescued the psalmist. That’s why they’re so popular: “Hey, I’m going through the same type of struggle and he found victory!” Just one Psalm will suffice:

Psalm 34
3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.  
4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.  
5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.  
6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.  
7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.  
8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

David is simply sharing his testimony, I cried and the Lord heard. Hallelujah!

I believe churches should encourage testifying, and offer opportunities for the brethren to testify. Do you have a testimony? When you have the opportunity, you should share your testimony. There is power in a testimony.



No comments:

Post a Comment