Tuesday, February 11, 2020

What? Me political?

I very rarely write anything about politics, but I heard something on the news today out of the New Hampshire Primary that got my attention. I Googled it and found a couple of articles on this - one on townhall.com and another on washingtonexaminer.com. I don’t know anything about either one, but they agreed in substance so… Anyway

On Sunday while in New Hampshire, Joe Biden said:

"Those who say 'the tree of liberty is watered with the blood of patriots'–  a great line. Well, guess what? The fact is if you’re going to take on the government you need an F-15 with Hellfire missiles. There is no way an AK-47 is going to take care of you if you're worried about the government knocking down your door."

Why did this get my attention? It sounds like a threat to me. Or at the very least, “Just capitulate to the government now, you can’t win.” I’m not a political animal, but I am an American (uh, England and King George), a South Carolinian (secession), and a child of the 60’s (don’t trust the Establishment). My hackles were raised. I’m pretty sure this is the very reason the Founding Fathers set forth the right of citizens to keep and bear arms in Second Amendment. 

Beckett Adams, in an opinion piece in the aforementioned Washington Examiner, wrote:

“First, what Biden said is a threat. Resistance is futile because the federal government can have you all killed at any time it wants. How inspiring. How presidential.

Further, the former vice president’s comments reveal a general ignorance of one of the most brilliant aspects of the Second Amendment. It creates a careful (albeit admittedly lopsided) balancing act between ruler and ruled. A well-armed militia will obviously be outgunned by a professional military, but that is not the point. The point is that the people can make themselves very hard to govern when the intentions of those in power are evil. When all other checks and balances fail, politicians tempted to subvert the Constitution still feel themselves limited by the friction they know they could encounter in the form of an enraged, well-armed citizenry.

It is also embarrassing to see a man who lived through the Vietnam War, the Soviets’ unsuccessful campaign in Afghanistan, and the Iraq War laugh off the idea of an armed insurrection rebuffing the world’s most advanced and best-equipped military.

Lastly, it should not be lost on anyone that Biden downplayed the importance and efficacy of well-armed militias by quoting Thomas Jefferson, who played a rather large role in the defeat of one of the world's greatest military forces by a ragtag army consisting of regulars and militiamen.”
(You can read the article here)


Since I am writing about political things, Democrat Presidential hopeful Tulsi Gabbard (Hawai’i) sent me an email today saying she would like to call me this week (well, the South Carolina Primary is February 29). Pretty cool. I have a lot of respect for Tulsi and it would be cool to say she called me! 

Tulsi Gabbard surfing in NH

No comments:

Post a Comment