Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Be warmed and filled

This is the third post in the series on James 2:14-26, Faith, works, and justification or Does James really contradict Paul?

John Wesley said 2:14 is a summary of what follows: What doth it profit, 2:15-17; though a man say, 2:18-20; can that faith save him? 2:21-26. I would add, James outlines his thought for us rather neatly, each section ending with the phrase, faith without works is dead.

James 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

If a brother or sister is naked, and destitute of daily food - I find it very telling that this is the illustration of good works James sets forth, when he thinks of good works this is what first comes to his mind. This is so apostolic. Let me illustrate

Jesus – Matthew 25:35-36 For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

The early church in Jerusalem - Acts 4:32-35 They had all things common...Neither was there any among them that lacked...and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Paul - Galatians 2:9-10 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

John - 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

Peter says we are born again unto unfeigned love of the brethren. This is what faith in Christ produces in us; this is the grace of God at work in us: love for one another.

And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? And yet some among those James wrote to would respond this way??? This is often a joke among believers, Be warmed and filled, but really, this is not funny. What kind of people were these people he is correcting? Whatever they were, whoever they were, they were clearly not born again people. They didn’t have the faith of Jesus. They didn’t have the love of God. What does it profit? indeed. Their professed faith is useless, to them and their neighbor.

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone – This is both a general statement about faith – if it has no works it is dead, and a specific commentary on their professed faith – it is dead. This just makes me sad, even though they were so long ago! How utterly sad it would be to encounter a group, a family, an individual, who boasts of faith in Jesus and yet has such a callous, unloving heart. Such faith is dead; it is useless. I am thankful that the believers I know have a living faith and a love for the brethren!

Neither was there any among them that lacked.

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

This is the faith of Jesus. This is the love of God. Every Apostle would agree.



Monday:
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment