Thursday, March 30, 2023

Now You Know

 


I began this series on legalism with the post, Is this or that or this other thing legalism? in which I offered several real life examples or situations and asked, Are any of these legalism? At the end of the list I said, “some of these examples are indeed legalism and some are not, but which ones are which?”

I feel confident that I have demonstrated that legalism is not a matter of being concerned with and actively attempting to be righteous, but is instead:

• the belief that one can be right with God by the works of the Old Testament Law of Moses
• this is easily expanded to include trying to be right with God following any set of rules or laws
• these rules, obligations, or laws are extra-biblical / manmade
• emphasizing the external, doing the right thing, the right way, at the right time
• using Scripture for selfish purposes, to fulfil the lusts of the flesh:
• doing the right thing in order to be seen by and impress the people around us.

Using this as our guide, let’s try to answer the questions and situations I posed.

+ Is teaching God’s blessings come to those who obey legalism?
No. The Lord Jesus said, “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” The apostle John wrote, “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.”

+ Is a Christian school with a dress code, which they enforce, legalism?
No. This is simply a matter of having standards. It is not legalism unless they are teaching that conforming to those standards is necessary to salvation. What if they strictly enforce the dress code? No. This is a code of conduct for time spent at school and school functions. It is true that it is extra-biblical, but unless it is presented as the way to be right with God, it is not legalism.

I’ve witnessed Christian schools who require their basketball coaches to wear dark pants, white shirt and tie, and their cheerleaders to wear skirts below the knee. Surely this is legalism. Unless they are saying this is required to be saved, it is simply their attempt to please God. I admit that the stricter the standards, the greater the temptation to slip into legalistic attitudes, but I repeat, unless they are presenting this standard as the way to be right with God, it is not legalism.

+ Is using the words commandment or commandments legalism.
Absolutely not. The Lord Jesus did. “A new commandment I give unto you.” “This is my commandment.” “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”

+ Is teaching people there are specific things they can do to please God legalism?
Nope. The apostle Paul wrote to the Thessalonians. “Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:” (1 Thessalonians 4:1-5)

+ Is warning folks there are things they might do that would not please God legalism?
No. See 1 Thessalonians 4:1-5.

+ Is not having a computer or TV in order to avoid temptation legalism?
It is if you think this will make you right with God, otherwise, No; it’s simply a matter of being concerned with and actively attempting to be righteous.

+ Is having a set time for prayer and Bible reading legalism?
No, that is discipline. However, if you are not able to be flexible, as in, "God won’t bless me at a different time", you could very well be legalistic.

+ Is believing your devotional time must follow a strict pattern legalism?
It is probably being legalistic, but unless you believe it is necessary for salvation it is not. 
I knew a couple once who had a major fight about their morning devotions. He believed the proper way to have devotions was to pray and then read the Bible. She read her Bible and then prayed. Yes, sadly they had legalism and legalistic issues, plus a bunch more!

+ Is believing you must keep the sabbath in order to be saved legalism?
Yes. In all capital letters. As well as believing you must be circumcised, keep the feasts, and follow the dietary laws.

+ Is parents setting strict rules for their children regarding social media/cell phone use legalism?
Only if they are saying following the rules is necessary for salvation. They need to work hard at reminding their children these are not for salvation. They may be in danger of being legalistic.

+ Is a pastor handing out a list of expressions/words to avoid because they are clean substitutes for profanity (dang, darn, gosh darn, dagum, what in tarnation) legalism?
I know this pastor, we are very close. I know that he was not saying using these words will keep you out of heaven. It was not legalism. However, he was probably being legalistic.

+ Is a pastor preaching “If you have one drink of wine, you will go to hell” legalism?
Absolutely.

+ Is not working, shopping, eating out, or using electronic devices on the Lord’s Day legalism?
If this is a personal choice and an attempt to please the Lord, No. If it is an attempt to make yourself right with God, then Yes. If this is proclaimed to others as the way to be right with God, Yes. As with all rules, there is probably a tendency to drift into being legalistic.

+ Is saying, “I need to pray more” legalism?
I actually read an article where the author said such a statement was legalism. If the person is saying, “I need to pray more in order to be saved”, then obviously, Yes. But it is more likely just an evaluation of the person’s spiritual life and a confession that adjustments need to be made.

I think it is evident that we need to explain the difference between legalism and legalistic. As one of my friends explained it, “I see legalism as doctrinal, believing one must do good works to be saved. I view legalistic in terms of behavior. I myself was guilty when younger of insisting that I was saved by grace through faith but was so into keeping rules I was legalist.” The rules are almost always extra-biblical. Rules and guidelines can be helpful, whether that’s a school dress code, or a time for devotions, or rules of behavior for children, but when the rules become more important than the Lord and His Word, that’s being legalistic.

Grace, mercy, love are our watchwords.


FINIS



No comments:

Post a Comment