Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Hosea 11

 


Hosea 11

 

“This chapter gives a very touching representation of God's tender and affectionate regard for Israel, by metaphors chiefly borrowed from the conduct of mothers toward their tender offspring. From this, occasion is taken to reflect on their ungrateful return to the Divine goodness, and to denounce against them the judgments of the Almighty.” (Adam Clarke)

 

11:1  When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

“I loved you when you were but slaves in Egypt, and I called you and did mighty things to redeem you from Egypt.” This is the love, faithfulness, and power of God. Love: You were nothing in Egypt, nobodies, and I loved you; Faithfulness: he loved and saved them because of his promise and covenant with Abraham; Power: they were slaves in the most powerful kingdom on earth and God brought them out without an army.

This is quoted in Matthew 2:14-15

When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

This is clearly about Israel in Egypt, yet Matthew says this was fulfilled in the life of Jesus. How?

“There is no doubt, but that God in his wonderful providence intended that his Son should come forth from Egypt, that he might be a redeemer to the faithful; and thus he shows that a true, real, and perfect deliverance was at length effected, when the promised Redeemer appeared. For it behooves us to consider this, that God, when he formerly redeemed his people from Egypt, only showed by a certain prelude the redemption which he deferred till the coming of Christ…and then God fully showed him to be the true deliverer of his people.” (John Calvin)

Or in plain language, As Israel was considered by God to be His son and was called out of Egypt, so God’s true and only begotten Son was called out of Egypt. As if the call of Israel out of Egypt was a picture of the Coming One.


11:2 As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.
11:3 I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.
11:4 I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
11:5 He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
11:6 And the sword shall abide on his cities, and shall consume his branches, and devour them, because of their own counsels.

I led Ephraim out of Egypt by the arm; I healed them; I drew them with bands of love; I removed the yoke of slavery; I fed them. Very similar to Jeremiah 31:3 The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. But Israel, so loved and cared for by the LORD, sacrificed unto Baal and burned incense to graven images. They rejected the LORD, so they reaped what they sowed - the Assyrian shall be his king.

11:7  And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

my people are bent to backsliding from meBacksliding is a word I don’t hear much anymore. Backsliding occurs 3 times in Hosea (12 times in Jeremiah! [in the KJV]):

+ Hosea 4:16 For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer...

A backsliding heifer is a stubborn and rebellious heifer, one who resists the harness.

+ Hosea 11:7 And my people are bent to backsliding from me...

My people are bent on (determined) turning away from me.

+ Hosea 14:4 I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely...

This is the sweetest promise. There is a line in an old hymn, “Prone to wander, Lord I feel it / Prone to leave the God I love.” God promises to heal that in us!

What is this backsliding? Just like it sounds, it is sliding back from our commitment to the Lord; it is the fire dying down; it is leaving our first love. Backsliding is a dangerous spiritual condition, and, if not checked, can lead to apostacy or falling away. It was deadly for Israel.


“Suddenly and unexpectedly the prospect changes. Beams of mercy break from the clouds just now fraught with vengeance. God, to speak in the language of men, feels the relentings of a tender parent; his bowels yearn; his mercy triumphs; his rebellious child shall yet be pardoned. As the lion of the tribe of Judah, he will employ his power to save his people, he will call his children from the land of their captivity; and, as doves, they will fly to him, a faithful and a holy people (11:8-12).” (Adam Clarke)


11:8 How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.
11:9 I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.
11:10 They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
11:11 They shall tremble as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will place them in their houses, saith the LORD.
11:12 Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints.

How shall I give thee up? See God’s heart for Israel! And by Israel I mean the 10 tribes of the north. These are the folks who are so corrupt they are going into Assyrian captivity; who are now the ten lost tribes of Israel.

The love of God: I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger; I will not destroy Ephraim.

The promise of God: they shall walk after the LORD; I will place them in their houses.

Israel is in the news these days - war and rumors of war. Remember, Israel is a key to the end times. Israel is in a fight for her life now, but never forget the LORD said, How shall I give thee up? They shall walk after the LORD. I will place them in their houses. What comfort in these words!! As God remains faithful to His covenant with Israel, so He will remain faithful to His covenant promises to the Church.


Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee

No comments:

Post a Comment