Monday, May 7, 2012

Weeds, plants, and all things wild




I posted this picture on facebook and was informed that this was not a plant, it was a weed. Of course, a weed is a plant, just not a desired one. But you see, a plant is a plant you want to keep and a weed is a plant that should be pulled, plucked, trimmed, cut down or otherwise destroyed immediately. If not sooner.





Last year, I had the same reaction to the plant on the right. What is wrong with me that I do not recognize and respond appropriately to the existence of a weed? By the way, this plant grew to be more that 6'5"! Is that not cool?

Before I answer, let me explain – I do recognize a weed. And when I encounter plants growing among my flowers and choking them, I pluck, pull and remove them. So why not these? The answer is simple: I am utterly fascinated by life. Plants growing profusely, abundantly, largely (largely?), and where they should not be able to grow. I have a plant (OK, a weed) that comes up in the middle of the driveway; not in the cracks where two sections come together, I have them as well, but in the middle of the concrete. And I love it! I am fascinated and impressed all at the same time.


Look at this. On the left is the one growing at the culvert, near the road. On the right is the one that grows by the house. I don’t know what they are, but they come back every year and their tenacity has won me over.






I love the little flowers in the grass – yellow, white, and purple. They are so small yet I find them so beautiful. When I mow the yard, if they are there, I mow around them. Except dandelions. I cut them down or pluck their heads off!

I love the wild growth of plants. Mary and I disagree / fuss about this on a regular basis. Take a look at this grass. Mary sees, “Cut this down yesterday. If not sooner.” I see, “Wow, how tall will you get?”

I will never win “Yard of the week or month” because I love it when my bushes are full and unkempt. And I let things grow nearly as tall as they can get. In fact, I want to see how tall they can get. When I first grew coleus, I was regularly chided and chastised – “They are not supposed to grow like that. You are supposed to cut/trim them so they grow as a bush.” But I liked the wildness!


I appreciate a neatly trimmed and well groomed yard. I know it looks nice and that the vast majority of people want their yard that way. And I cut the grass – even though I like to see it reaching for the sky and going to seed! But I prefer the wild woods. When I kayak, I like to go back where the plants and trees are wild, large, and unfettered by anything but the competition for soil, water, and sun. I am fascinated by it. It is life. Wild. Untamed. Unruly. Free.

I know what a weed is. I know that most of the pictures in this post are photos of weeds. And if they were taking over my yard, hindering my flowers, or choking my garden, I would attack them. But these aren’t. And so instead I am mesmerized by them – How tall will you get? Will you flower? What does your flower look like? Last year's 6'5" giant had very ugly flowers. Soon as they appeared I cut it down, lest it propagate. And when I cut it down, boy did it stink!

I am fascinated and enthralled by life. It is tenacious. It is persistent. Our house in York had trees all around and the gutters were always full of tree refuse. I was obviously a little slow getting to it once and when I got up on the roof the end of the gutter at the downspout was full. And a tree was growing! In my gutter! Is that not totally awesome?? It had absolutely no chance but it was going after it with all its’ might. Wow!

I will cut the weed down. Soon. But meanwhile, I am enchanted by it. Spellbound by life. I love it when my yard has an almost wild look. Almost like we are about to be overrun by . . . LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment