Sunday, June 10, 2012

Three days that I remember


I remember going to church some when I was growing up. At some point we went to a Lutheran church, I think, and then to a Catholic Church. I went to CCD classes (Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, a religious education program) and took First Communion. But I was never really interested. Living in Hawaii, church for me was simply the only day of the week I had to get dressed up for something that I regularly fell asleep during. I was really excited when my Dad offered me the choice of going to church or staying home. I stayed home.

I remember the day when the family went to Laie to watch the sunset. I was asked if I wanted to go and I chose to stay home alone. I must have been in junior high. Wandering around in my own little world, I suddenly looked up to the sky and said, “God, if you’re there, I want to know you.” And went on my way. That was the beginning of my spiritual hunger and search.

In high school I got involved in Transcendental Meditation. Some days I was agnostic and other days I was atheist. But on no day did I want to hear about Jesus, even though I knew nothing about him.

Then we moved to Nashville, TN. As you might imagine, I was in shock for a while!!

I remember another day. It was the day I was introduced to a girl named Sherry Knott. As I looked into her eyes, something inside her leapt out and touched my soul. I knew she had what I was seeking. And I was utterly disappointed that she wanted to talk about Jesus!

We began to date anyway and, because I violated her curfew on our first date, the only place we could see each other was at church. First Baptist Donelson. Man, I was there more than some of the regulars! Here I was, this long-haired, half-wild, unbeliever, and they began to pray for me.

There is another day I remember. A Sunday morning. I was sitting with Sherry in the morning service and Bro. Baker was preaching. He reached the end of his sermon and gave the invitation. Everything inside of me was urging me to go to the front. And I was resisting. I mean, old time conviction: clenching my hands, wringing my hands, sweating through my clothes. And it must have been obvious because Sherry looked at me and asked, “If I go with you, will you go down to the front?” I said, “NO! I don’t know what he will do to me down there.” I made it to the end of the service. Sherry wanted to hang out with me, to talk this over, but wouldn’t you know it, she had some kind of meeting to attend. So I left and took a walk out by Percy Priest Lake, to think this through

While on this walk, I had the most wonderful encounter of my life. I became aware of a presence in front of me, a little above me. And then these words, “I am Christ. I am alive and I am God. Trust me with your life and I will take you to the true God.” The only thing I wanted, and He was offering to fulfill this. I didn’t know about sin, so I wasn’t interested in forgiveness. I didn’t know anything about heaven or hell, so I wasn’t trying to gain one and escape the other. I just wanted to know God. But I honestly wrestled with this. Do I want to trust my life with someone I do not know? Somehow, Sherry found me and took me to my house. I wrestled some more, but then I decided. I found a tract someone had given me (I had the impression that I needed to pray to do this) and prayed the prayer on the back, trusting my life to Christ.

I trusted Him with my life and He did indeed bring me to the true God. He got me, and I got God. A most lopsided and unfair exchange! And I am thankful every single day!

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. ~ Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment