Wednesday, November 28, 2012

thy life will I give unto thee for a prey


In reading Jeremiah I came across a very interesting expression: thy life will I give unto thee for a prey. 'Prey' is the same word that is translated 'spoils.' I admit, this literal translation doesn’t make a lot of sense, it seems to be an idiomatic expression. Or, as Adam Clarke said, “This is a proverbial expression. It appears to have this meaning. As a prey or spoil is that which is gained from a vanquished enemy, so it is preserved with pleasure as the proof and reward of a man’s own valor.” So that would make it something like, “Thy life will I give unto thee as a spoil of war.” Or, as we might say, “I will give you your life.”

This is spoken to three people. (Interestingly, none of whom are Jeremiah! Maybe he didn’t need the encouragement…)

Jeremiah 38:2 Thus saith the LORD, He that remaineth in this city shall die by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence: but he that goeth forth to the Chaldeans shall live; for he shall have his life for a prey, and shall live.

The Lord was bringing judgment upon Jerusalem. The Babylonians were coming to empty the city and then burn it with fire. This judgment was so severe that God warned them several times, He that remaineth in this city shall die by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence. These were unspeakably terrible times. I doubt that any of us can even come close to comprehending that.

But there was hope - but he that goeth forth to the Chaldeans shall live; for he shall have his life for a prey, and shall live. If they believed the Lord and did as He said (not resist but surrender), they would live. He shall have his life for a prey. That is, like a spoil of the war they were in. Stay in the city, refuse to believe God and His Word, and you will die by the sword, by the famine, or by the pestilence. Believe God’s Word and surrender yourself to the Chaldeans, and you will live. In Babylon, but you will live. I will give you your life.

Jeremiah 39:18 For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD.
This was spoken to Ebedmelech the Ethiopian. He was a eunuch in the king’s house, and he stood up for Jeremiah when he was cast into a well. He seems to have become sort of the personal guard of Jeremiah. Just before the Babylonians arrived God said to him in Jeremiah 39:16-18

16 Go and speak to Ebedmelech the Ethiopian, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring my words upon this city for evil, and not for good; and they shall be accomplished in that day before thee.  
17 But I will deliver thee in that day, saith the LORD: and thou shalt not be given into the hand of the men of whom thou art afraid.  
18 For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD.

In this time of coming judgment and calamity, a truly fearful time, Ebedmelech put his trust in the Lord. And God gave him his life as a prey: he would not die from the sword, the pestilence, or the famine.

Jeremiah 45:5 And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the LORD: but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest.
This was spoken to Baruch. He was Jeremiah’s assistant. He seems to have become fearful of his future and even began to wonder what he was going to get out of his service to Jeremiah. God rebuked him for his selfish concern (avarice?) and told him what He would give him, thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest. You may not get rich, but I give you your life, wherever you wind up.


As I said, this is very interesting. In all three cases, they witnessed the judgment of God; they lived through the calamity. Their faith in God did not guarantee them freedom from troublesome times, but because of their faith God gave them their life. In other words, faith doesn’t always deliver you from trouble. I mean, who wanted to live through those times? We can’t even imagine how utterly difficult they were. When the cost of food went up, they also paid the ridiculously high prices. When there was no food, they didn’t eat either. When the lights went out, they were in the dark. They lost their house and property and probably their jobs too, like everyone else. And so on. But because they put their trust in the Lord, God gave them their life for a prey.

My reading partner in Jeremiah must have seen the same thing because he said, “For those who faithfully trust the Lord, in spite of the calamity around them, God will make a way.” (Well, he said something like that. He said it, I liked it, but then we couldn’t quite remember how he said it the first time. It was early in the morning!)

I realize this is not a promise given to us, but I do believe it has application for us. I don’t know how far to take it, I’ll leave that to you. I just found it interesting. And encouraging.

thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering what "for a prey" meant and your explanation was helpful. However, I think a better translation is "as a reward". "for" is an archaic usage of the word "as", so "for a prey" becomes "as a prey", and prey means spoils so then it becomes "as a spoil (of war)", which to me means "as a reward".

    ReplyDelete