Monday, December 3, 2012

Could this be me?


As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the LORD, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth . . .
Jeremiah 44:16-17

People often say that because the Bible is so old, it is irrelevant today. But this certainly sounds timeless to me. In fact, this sounds like the campaign slogan for western culture today: “We will NOT do what the Bible says, but we WILL do what we say. In fact, we are working on making it illegal for you to even TELL us what the Bible says.”

I have been sitting on this post for some time. I was going in a certain direction with it and every time I came back to it, I felt a hindrance. Perhaps I was guilty of having a thought and then tacking a Bible verse to it to make it sound better.

At any rate, I read this passage last week. It is stunning. Shocking. Pure willful, intentional, rebellion.

We recognize this attitude in unbelievers. The question believers need to ask, that I need to ask is, “Is there any area of my life where this attitude reigns?” That’s a fancy way of asking, “Do I have any behavior or thoughts that I know are contrary to God’s Word that I have refused to change?”

No comments:

Post a Comment