Monday, March 4, 2013

Sunday nights are different

I have decided that Sunday nights are different than other nights. You would think that people would be home getting ready for the work-week, but no, they are still out and about. And sometimes I have strange and humorous encounters. Just a few from last night:

This man came to the counter and had 4 kinds of candy. I looked at the shirt under his coat. It said “Planet Fitness.” I started to point the irony out to him, but changed my mind


Three people were in line. The first is a man and he asks for a pack of cigarettes. I’ve seen him before so I don’t ask for his ID. The second is a young lady. She also asks for a pack of cigarettes. I make a joke about her sweat shirt which says “Northwestern Track.” She offers me her ID, but she’s been in before and I say, “You’ve been here before, right?” I knew she had because I recognized her so I don’t ask for her ID either.
The third person is another guy. He has a couple of sodas and wants a pack of cigarettes. I don’t know him and don’t remember ever seeing him before, so I ask for his ID. He said he didn’t have it. So I tell him I’m sorry and put the cigarettes aside. He said, “My birthday is (something) ’94.” I said, “I’m sorry but I don’t remember ever seeing you or selling tobacco to you.” He said he would just buy the drinks somewhere else. But after a minute he’s back at the counter.
Him: You didn’t ask for their ID.
Me: I know. But I know them, I’ve seen their ID.
Him: Yeah, but you didn’t ask for their ID.
Me: I know. If I remembered you I wouldn’t have asked to see yours.
This repeats itself two or three more times and he is agitated.
Finally he declares, “That’s why you won’t get none of my money.”
I said, “Fine.”
His mistake was thinking I cared!
What’s a 19 year old doing out without his ID anyway? And trying to buy an age-controlled substance?!


This one was just weird. A Highway Patrolman comes in for coffee. Takes quite a while preparing it. Then he comes to me, holds out his cup and asks, “Do you have lids for this or did I get the wrong cup?”
He’s holding the large cup for boiled peanuts. It says BOILED PEANUTS. All I could say was, “Yes sir, that's the cup for boiled peanuts.” He then transfers his coffee to two 24 oz cups! Then he couldn’t figure out the lids. It was like he couldn’t read….


The folks who deliver the paper are our neighbors and I know them. The high school aged son brings two papers and the Mom brings the USA Today. The boy came first. We talked a moment and then he announced that they were going to see his brother today. His brother is in the Marines and this is the first time they can go visit him. I ask him where they are going. He has no clue! Not even what State! I tell him I'll ask his Mom when she comes in.
When his Mom comes in I tell her about this and she laughs. Tells me they are going to North Carolina. She said, "His only question was, 'What time do I have to get up?' " Ahhh, teenagers.


Finally, this morning a woman comes in and has a couple of transactions. She has reading glasses perched on her head, but doesn’t use them. I said, “I see you don’t like to use your reading glasses.” She said she hated them. I said, “I hate my glasses too.”
The she said, “I wish I could wear contacts but I hate them worse than my glasses.”
A kindred soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment