Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Maundy Thursday – Striking a blow at pride


Thursday in Holy Week was a busy day! That evening, which was the beginning of Friday for the Jews, Jesus and his disciples observed Passover. This Passover was a special one for them because it was also the Last Supper. During the Passover meal Jesus instituted a new sacrament for his church: the Lord’s Supper. After supper they sang a hymn, probably from Psalms 113–118, he went to the Garden to pray, and was arrested.

It is known as Maundy Thursday. Maundy means commandment. Jesus gave several commandments that night, but it most likely refers to:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another;
as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Of course, when he instituted the Supper he commanded, Do this in remembrance of me.

And then there is the other commandment. But I am ahead of myself.

I’ve always liked Maundy Thursday. We didn’t always have a meeting that night, but eventually we did. We had a three-fold emphasis:

Passover    The Lord’s Supper    Foot Washing

Yeah, you read that right! As I read John 13 I became convinced that when Jesus said,

If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you

he meant it. But convincing others of this, oy vey!

Oh how people resist foot washing! If you want to watch people shudder, or have a look of terror come over their face, invite them to a foot-washing service!

Why is this?

I became convinced it is a pride issue. Foot-washing strikes a blow at pride and encourages humility in a most unusual manner.

You would think that the pride being struck would be acting like a servant and washing someone else’s feet. I discovered this wasn’t the issue, at least for me. Serving others is a fundamental part of the Christian life. It was having someone wash my feet that was difficult! You see, I’m the servant. I serve you. You don’t serve me! Oh how utterly uncomfortable that was!

I can still picture the service. We reserved the foot-washing for the end. I had two basins, two pitchers filled with water, and some towels, stowed under the first two pews. We formed two lines. We only removed our right shoe. The first person would come and I would wash their foot. Then the role would be reversed and they would wash my foot. How humiliating to have someone be my servant and wash my foot!

I know there are plenty of people who reject any notion that Jesus intended us to literally wash one another’s feet. I think they are wrong, but that’s not my point. I believe that foot-washing was intended to produce and promote humility. It is very effective. That’s my point! As I mentioned, it was utterly uncomfortable for me having someone else wash my foot, and that was a good thing. Can you imagine how uncomfortable the disciples would have been having Jesus wash their feet?? And he said, Let me wash your feet and then you wash one another’s feet.

If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you

No comments:

Post a Comment