Thursday, July 11, 2013

Is Christ present in the Supper?

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 

Sunday we observed the Lord’s Supper. As I was meditating on this earlier this week, I asked myself two questions: Is Christ present in the Supper? and, What difference does this make?

Jesus said, Do this in remembrance of me. Therefore, I remember he died for me, that my salvation was secured by nothing less than Jesus giving his life for me.

I also remember that I received him as my Savior. Taking the bread and drinking the cup remind me of that day, and is a re-living, as it were, of my receiving him.

And I also remember that he rose from the dead, sits at the right hand of the Father, and by the Holy Spirit is here with us now, present in our assembly and present in the elements.

So, the answer to my first question, Is Christ present in the Supper? is Yes. I mean, he is with us when we gather and he is present in the bread and the cup. It is this presence that make it Communion. It is the communion of the body and blood of Christ, a participation in and a partaking of Christ!

When I approach the table as if Christ is present, I mean, in the bread and in the cup, what a difference it makes! OK, What difference does this make? When I receive the bread and the wine, I am receiving Christ, I am feeding on the body and blood of Christ!

Why was Christ’s body broken for us? He bore our brokenness, our sickness, our infirmity, our death, that we might receive his wholeness. When I receive the bread as the body of Christ, my faith is quickened to receive his wholeness and life.

Why was the blood of Christ shed for us? That our sins might be forgiven, that we might be cleansed, that we might have his life. When I receive the cup as the blood of Christ, my faith is quickened to receive forgiveness of my sins, cleansing of my heart, life, His very life.

Is Christ present in the Supper? Yes, he is. What difference does it make? Through the supper I commune with Christ, I really and truly receive Christ. This is communion! How rich! Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment