Monday, September 2, 2013

That’s what I’m talking about

One of my goals for this vacation was to kayak in a place I had not been before. Check!

I woke up this morning around 6:30 and was out the door and on the road shortly after 7. I went to Edisto Beach State Park and Live Oak boat ramp. I put in and headed upstream on Big Bay Creek. I had no real plan except to paddle up for a while, turn around and come back down.

I rounded the first bend and was a little disappointed – docks and boats and houses. Impressively large houses. And docks. And about four or five double-masted schooners. But this was not what I was hoping for so I paddled on.

A little bit of work and I was beyond the houses, and docks, and boats, and even the seagulls. It was amazing! And so quiet. The only sound was made by me paddling, and the kayak rushing against the current. When I would stop, all I could hear was the marsh grass blowing in the wind; and the popping of the marsh as it dried out (it was low tide); the occasional bird fluttering up when I got too close; and silver-bellied fish jumping out of the water. Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about!

I kept pressing on because of my nature, “Wonder what’s around the bend?” What was around each bend? More magnificent, spectacular scenery! This creek wasn’t narrowing, and since a larger boat had put in when I did and also gone up-river, and I had not yet come across it, I was beginning to realize I was nowhere near the headwaters. So I was beginning to consider turning around.

I was off to the side, listening to the marsh pop, when I heard a lot of splashing up ahead. At first I thought a pelican had either landed or caught something. But it continued. It was a lot of splashing. “Well, let’s go see what it is!” When I got closer, I could see that it was a couple of dolphins, right at the edge of the water, raising a ruckus. I went closer. And even though I tried to approach them softly, they were aware of me and moved away a little. I crept up until I must’ve been within 20 feet of them. They would move away, in front of me, then behind me. Then they sorta circled me, blowing air from their air holes. The "poof" they made gave me the distinct impression that they were a little irritated with me. After surfacing all around me for a little while, they disappeared. I thought to myself, “I don’t think it’s going to get any better than this” so I turned around and headed back.

Good timing too. I was passed by four or five boats on my way back. The current wasn’t bad but I made it back a LOT faster than going up.

I have always wanted to kayaking early in the morning. This morning was the earliest I have ever been out, and it was amazing. Great trip! Edisto is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment