Friday, August 30, 2013

Anybody have a testimony?

I am currently reading the book of Exodus. Last night I read chapter 13, which offers further instructions concerning the feasts of Passover and Unleavened Bread. In v 8 we read:

And thou shalt show thy son in that day, saying, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt.

When I read this I thought about the Lord’s Supper. Specifically, I had what I think is a great idea for a communion service.

Whenever they observed the Passover, they were to tell their children, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I came forth out of Egypt. Would it not be great for us to do this at the Lord’s Supper? They observed Passover to remember God delivering them from Egypt. We observe the Lord’s Supper to remember God delivering us from sin by the cross of Christ.

I thought, Wouldn’t it be a wonderful service if, before we partook of the Supper, we gave people an opportunity to tell their story of how they came to faith in Christ? Y’know, This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me… It would be great for our children and young people to hear our testimony. They may have never heard it.

My first pastorate was in Pensacola, FL. I was visiting in the home of one of the members. She was a faithful regular, the daughter of one of the pillars of the church, and a single mom with three children. For some reason, which I cannot recall, she shared her testimony with me that day. When she finished, her son said, "Mom, I never heard that before." It was good for him to hear that his Mom, who had grown up in a Christian home, had intentionally embraced the faith of Christ.

That’s what would happen in the service I thought of last night. People, our children, would hear our story. They have always and only known us a believers, but when they hear us testify, "This is done because of that which the LORD did unto me when I believed in Jesus and He saved me", they will hear how we needed Jesus, how we believed in him, and how he saved us.

Sounds like a wonderful service to me!

Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!
I'm redeemed ! I'm redeemed!
Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment