Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The desire of my heart

There is a desire of my heart, a request of God, that I think about, contemplate, and pray over often. Several week ago I woke up early one Saturday morning and the cry of my heart was, “How can I do this?” That is, What steps can I take to see this come to pass? The Lord ministered to me very clearly that morning about only receiving the things God brings into your life. I said, Yeah; Amen; Hallelujah! And rested in Him to bring this to pass. And He began!

The last couple of days I have returned to thinking of ways this could be realized, even how I could indirectly raise the subject and offer suggestions. I realized I was scheming! Psalm 37:4 came to mind, Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. I knew there were other instructions surrounding this verse and since I couldn't exactly recall them, I looked up the Psalm. Here they are: †

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. 
4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 
5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. 
6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. 
7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him . . . 

Wow! Instead of scheming, plotting, arranging, God tells me to Trust Him; Delight in Him; Commit my way to Him; Rest in Him; Wait patiently for Him.

Ouch and Amen!

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. 
No schemes, trust in the Lord and do good. So shalt thou dwell in the land – trust in the Lord and you will dwell in the promised land, the abundant life.

4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 
Delight, not in my desires or my plans, but in the Lord. Not as a means to my desires, but just because he is the Lord.

5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
How this contrasts with planning, plotting, scheming! Commit your way to the Lord and trust him; he will bring it to pass.

7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him . . . 
How do I deal with the anxiety of how and when this could come to pass? Rest in the Lord. Wait patiently.

I was summarily dealt with! If you want My blessing, then it will be My way.

Why is it sometimes so difficult to trust, rest, and wait for the Lord? I don’t even know what the rest of the day holds, He knows everything!

Father, you know the desire of my heart. Give me grace to trust You. Teach me to delight in Thee. By Thy mercy help me to commit my way unto Thee, to rest in Thee, and to wait patiently for Thee.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, 
thoughts of peace, and not of evil, 
to give you an expected end.
Then shall ye call upon me, 
and ye shall go and pray unto me, 
and I will hearken unto you.
And ye shall seek me, and find me, 
when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
And I will be found of you:
and I will turn away your captivity. . .




† I know the context of these verses is the prosperity of the unrighteous as set in v 1, Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. But I am persuaded that these are fundamental principles that can be applied to many and various circumstances. And I am just as confident, that what God spoke to the nation in Jeremiah 29:11-14 above, the principles apply to me the individual,

No comments:

Post a Comment