Monday, February 9, 2015

The Body of Christ

Yesterday we went down to Augusta to see Mary K and her beautiful family. We met them at church and worshipped the Lord with them. Right away I saw that we were going to celebrate the Lord’s Supper. I was excited. We had observed the Supper last week at church (first Sunday of the month, and all that) and again today!

The church I attend always emphasizes that the Supper is only a memorial, a remembering. I believe there is more to the Supper, so I have to consciously emphasize this in my heart as I partake. Mary K attends a Baptist Church, so I expected more of the same. And the pastor did say, “By these elements we're reminded…” And that is completely true. Then I was so deeply blessed!

When they take the Supper, the congregation stands and moves forward to the front to receive the elements from the elders. (Yes, elders in a Baptist Church!) So I stood and got in line. When I got to the elder with the bread, he said, “The body of Christ.” And the elder with the cups said, “The blood of Christ.” That was all. No commentary. Nothing more. What a powerful reminder as we took the bread and the fruit of the vine. I was free and encouraged to let this be all that it means to me! Amen. Thank you, Lord!

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? 
The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment