Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The battle over breasts


One morning, when we were in Santa Fe, while we were getting dressed to meet up with Erica and Dan, we saw a story about an exchange between Alyssa Milano and Wendy Williams concerning breastfeeding in public. Alyssa Milano is a proponent of breastfeeding and an advocate of breastfeeding in public. Wendy Williams is opposed to breastfeeding in public.

You can watch it here

Milano is said to have asked, “Why is it ok to show Miley Cyrus showing this but it’s not ok to see a woman nursing?”

And Williams answered, “I don’t know why I feel this way. I just feel like, I’m a mom also, and, but, you know . . . breastfeeding is only a particular amount of time. The rest of your life your breasts are sexual . . . things”

This issue of breastfeeding in public comes up from time to time, and there is a very vocal opposition to it. We live in America, so we know it’s not a question of modesty. So, why?

When I heard Wendy Williams, a light came on - this is about sex. We live in a sex-obsessed society. Everything is about sex and sex is everything. Women are pictured as sexual beings and breasts ought to be revealed as much as possible. Seeing a woman use her breasts for something other than sex messes up that picture and people don’t want this picture messed up.

Of course, there are those women who have made breastfeeding in public a cause, as the woman below


She is glaring at a woman who she said was staring at her, attempting to “shame her” for breastfeeding in public uncovered. Everybody is just so “in your face” about it all!

Yikes! I’ve written myself into a corner and don’t know where to go from here! I simply wanted to share my insight into why people are so upset by this. And I just now saw an article on Facebook about topless baristas in the state of Washington! We are a society obsessed with sex and exhibitionism. We need to get back to the Creator and His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment