Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Poem

Alas!
Grievous was the sin
Great was the fall
Like a heavy cloud
It darkens all
Will the sun ever shine?

Lo, on yonder tree
One who dies for me
“O Jesus,” I cry
“Can you rescue me?
Can you set me free?”



Is there an answer to my cry? Yes!

Psalm 130
Out of the depths have I cried to thee, O Lord.
O Lord, hearken to my voice; let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If thou, O Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
For with thee is forgiveness:
for thy name's sake have I waited for thee, O Lord, my soul has waited for thy word.
My soul has hoped in the Lord; from the morning watch till night.
Let Israel hope in the Lord: for with the Lord is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.  (LXX)



I saw One hanging on a tree,
In agony and blood;
He fixed His languid eyes on me,
As near His cross I stood.

Sure, never, till my latest breath,
Can I forget that look;
It seemed to charge me with His death,
Though not a word He spoke.

My conscience felt and owned the guilt,
And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins His blood had spilt,
And helped to nail Him there.

Alas! I knew not what I did -
But now my tears are vain;
Where shall my trembling soul be hid?
For I the Lord have slain.

A second look He gave, which said,
"I freely all forgive;
This blood is for thy ransom paid,
I die that thou may'st live."
                              ~ He Died for Me by John Newton

For with thee is forgiveness

No comments:

Post a Comment