Friday, March 4, 2016

The witness of the Spirit

This past Sunday I had the opportunity and privilege to preach. My text was Romans 8:16. Here is a excerpt from that teaching:

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

What the verse says:
The Spirit bears witness with our spirit – this is something that He does, that we can expect him to do. This is something definite, something positive.

That we are the children of God – this is the witness, this is what he testifies

What the verse does not say:
It does not tell us what this will look like, what it will feel like. In one way, it would be nice if this verse said, “the Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit” and then described this witness in detail. How easy it would be then to test myself, Do I have this witness of the Spirit?

No. Unlike most politicians, this witness is not scripted. This witness is to me, to you, and is fitted to each one. And it gives us assurance.

So, what is it?

I believe John Wesley expressed it best:

But what is that testimony of God's Spirit, which is superadded to, and conjoined with, this? How does he "bear witness with our spirit that we are the children of God?" It is hard to find words in the language of men to explain "the deep things of God." Indeed, there are none that will adequately express what the children of God experience. But perhaps one might say… The testimony of the Spirit is an inward impression on the soul, whereby the Spirit of God directly witnesses to my spirit, that I am a child of God; that Jesus Christ hath loved me, and given himself for me; and that all my sins are blotted out, and I, even I, am reconciled to God.



Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment