Thursday, February 9, 2017

What I learned (part 3, Conclusions)

I introduced this series by saying:

I recently read the book, The Fundamental Christian Faith by Charles Augustus Briggs, D.D., D.Litt.. In his explanation of this phrase in the Apostles Creed: suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried, he observed:

“The verb πάσχω (pascho) is not used of the sufferings of Christ by St. Paul; but it is characteristic of the First Epistle of Peter, the Epistle to the Hebrews, Luke's Gospel and the Book of Acts.
The noun πάθημα (pathema) is used of Christ's sufferings in 1 Peter; also Hebrews; and by St. Paul.”

I was intrigued! I had never noticed that so I decided to investigate. I looked up all the occurrences of both πάσχω (pascho) and πάθημα (pathema). He was right. As I read through the verses I was really blessed by what I saw. I thought I would share the results of my search as well as what I learned.

In my last two posts I looked at suffering the noun (πάθημα pathema) and suffering the verb (πάσχω pascho). Today I want to summarize what I’ve learned.


The author was correct when he said, “The verb πάσχω (pascho) is not used of the sufferings of Christ by St. Paul.” But, even though Mr. Briggs had a D.D. and a D.Litt.(and I have no Ds in my degree at all!), I discovered he was mistaken in his second assertion, “The noun πάθημα (pathema) is used of Christ's sufferings ... by St. Paul.” Paul, in fact, did not use pathema to refer to the sufferings of Christ!

Mr. Briggs was referring to 2 Corinthians 1:5, For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ. Paul does use the expression, “the sufferings of Christ”, but this is clearly not speaking of what Christ endured, but of what Paul is enduring for Christ, the sufferings those who believe in Christ experience on his behalf.

What is the significance of this? Nothing. Only I discovered a D.D. D.Litt. was wrong!

Seriously though, if Paul did not refer to the sufferings of Christ in his epistles, how did he speak of them? He spoke of the cross and of Christ crucified (except in Hebrews, if you accept his authorship). What is the significance of this? It seems that when addressing a Jewish audience the apostles spoke of the sufferings of Christ and when addressing Gentiles they spoke of Christ crucified. I confess I don’t know why. Jesus spoke of the cross and crucifixion, and Peter spoke of Christ crucified in Acts 2 and 4.

Why did Christ suffer?
As the Apostle Peter put it, Christ also suffered for us…Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. (1 Peter 2:21, 24) Amen! That is the gospel.

Suffering for Christ
The other note on suffering and Christ is also best expressed by Peter (4:1-4)
1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;  
2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.  
3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:  
4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

I noticed that suffering for Christ is to be expected. It is the norm. And this is especially true for those involved in ministry. We have taken the references to suffering and applied them to sickness and relationships and other difficulties experienced by people in general. But, as I pointed out, the sufferings of Christ are the sufferings or afflictions we endure because of our faith in Christ and our obedience to him; afflictions which would vanish as soon as we no longer believed or obeyed. This is persecution. In addition there is the tribulation we experience as we wrestle with the devil, the flesh, and the world; which would also cease if our faith and obedience ceased.

Paul is in full agreement with Peter when he expresses his goals as a believer: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship [participation in] of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

And again: For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Yes, the sufferings of this present time, affliction, persecution, tribulation, struggle, and spiritual warfare, are nothing when compared with the glory to come. Amen.


As I read this I must ask myself: Am I suffering for Christ? 

If No, Why not?

If Yes, Am I rejoicing, inasmuch as I am a partaker of Christ's sufferings?


For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, 
not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake

No comments:

Post a Comment