Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Suffering of Christ or What I learned in my study of pascho and pathema

I recently read the book, The Fundamental Christian Faith. In his explanation of this phrase in the Apostles Creed: “suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried”, he observed:

“The verb πάσχω (pascho) is not used of the sufferings of Christ by St. Paul; but it is characteristic of the First Epistle of Peter, the Epistle to the Hebrews, Luke's Gospel and the Book of Acts.
The noun πάθημα (pathema) is used of Christ's sufferings in 1 Peter; also Hebrews; and by St. Paul.”
The Fundamental Christian Faith: The Origin, History And Interpretation Of The Apostles' And Nicene Creeds 
by Charles Augustus Briggs, D.D., D.Litt. (Aren’t you impressed by all those initials after his name? :-) )

I was intrigued! I had never noticed that so I decided to investigate. I looked up all the occurrences of both πάσχω (pascho) and πάθημα (pathema). He was right. As I read through the verses I was really blessed by what I saw. I thought I would share the results of my search as well as what I learned.

πάθημα pathema

This is the noun. According to Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon it means: that which one suffers or has suffered; and is used for that which Christ endured; also the afflictions which Christians must undergo for Christ. It is translated suffering 11x, affliction 3x, affection and motion 1x.

Sufferings of Christ
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

1 Peter 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

1 Peter 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

Christ suffered for us; suffered death for us. The suffering is followed by glory; not only being crowned with glory and honor in heaven, but the glory that shall be revealed here on earth when he comes again.

Suffering for Christ
Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

2 Corinthians 1:6 And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. 

2 Corinthians 1:7 And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.

Hebrews 10:32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;

1 Peter 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

We suffer because of our association with Christ, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions. These afflictions are common to believers everywhere. And behold God’s grace, just as we share his sufferings, we will share in his glory. Meanwhile, there is consolation in this life, as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.

Here we need to define these sufferings – they are the sufferings or afflictions we endure because of our faith in Christ and our obedience to him; afflictions which would vanish as soon as we no longer believed or obeyed. This is persecution. In addition there is the tribulation we experience as we wrestle with the devil, the flesh, and the world; which would also cease if our faith and obedience ceased.

Suffering for Christ in the ministry of the gospel
2 Corinthians 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

2 Timothy 3:11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Those who are called into the ministry of the gospel should expect to suffer for those they are reaching and teaching. This suffering is the tribulation (hardships, difficulties, trials) endured in the work, as well as afflictions and persecutions.

fellowship of his sufferings
Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

This is powerful! Both Paul and Peter speak of the fellowship of his sufferings. This word fellowship is koinonia. We think of koinonia merely as fellowship, but the root idea of koinonia is participation, as it is translated in Peter, partakers of Christ's sufferings.

Paul expresses the full thought, “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship [participation in] of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.”
This is the road to the resurrection and glory.

As Isaac Watts expressed it in a hymn very few of us have sung:

Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb,
And shall I fear to own His cause,
Or blush to speak His Name?

Must I be carried to the skies
On flowery beds of ease,
While others fought to win the prize,
And sailed through bloody seas?

Are there no foes for me to face?
Must I not stem the flood?
Is this vile world a friend to grace,
To help me on to God?

Sure I must fight if I would reign;
Increase my courage, Lord.
I’ll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy Word.


Next post: The verb πάσχω pascho

No comments:

Post a Comment