Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Christ in Isaiah


As I promised last week, here is a simple listing of all the prophecies in Isaiah concerning The Life And Ministry of the Christ. You can examine each one in more detail, including their fulfillment in Jesus of Nazareth, by reading each post beginning on March 1.

<>< <>< <><
6:8 And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go to this people? And I said, behold, I am here, send me. And he said, Go, and say to this people, 
9 Ye shall hear indeed, but ye shall not understand; and ye shall see indeed, but ye shall not perceive. 
10 For the heart of this people has become gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. *

7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive in the womb, and shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Emmanuel. *

9:1 Act quickly, O land of Zabulon, land of Nephthalim, and the rest inhabiting the sea-coast, and the land beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles. 
2 The people who walk in darkness saw a great light, those who dwell in the region and shadow of death, a light shall shine upon you.
3 The multitude of the people which thou hast brought down in thy joy, they shall even rejoice before thee as they that rejoice in harvest, and as they that divide the spoil. 
4 Because the yoke that was laid upon them has been taken away, and the rod that was on their neck: for he has broken the rod of the exactors, as in the day of Madiam. 
6 for a child was born to us and a son was given to us, the rule was upon his shoulder, and his name is called messenger of great counsel, wonderful counselor, strong God, ruler, prince of peace, father of the coming age; for I bring peace upon the rulers, peace and soundness.
7 His government shall be great, and of his peace there is no end: it shall be upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to establish it, and to support it with judgement and with righteousness, from henceforth and forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts shall perform this. *

11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse, and a blossom shall come up from his root: 
2 and the Spirit of God shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and strength, the spirit of knowledge and godliness shall fill him; 3 the spirit of the fear of God.
3 He shall not judge according to appearance, nor reprove according to report: 
4 but he shall judge the cause of the lowly, and shall reprove the lowly of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the word of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he destroy the ungodly one. 
5 And he shall have his loins girt with righteousness, and his sides clothed with truth. 
6 And the wolf shall feed with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the young calf and bull and lion shall feed together; and a little child shall lead them. 
7 And the ox and bear shall feed together; and their young shall be together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. 
8 And an infant shall put his hand on the holes of asps, and on the nest of young asps. 
9 And they shall not hurt, nor shall they at all be able to destroy any one on my holy mountain: for the whole world is filled with the knowledge of the Lord, as much water covers the seas. 
10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall arise to rule over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust, and his rest shall be glorious. *

28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord, even the Lord, Behold, I lay for the foundations of Sion a costly stone, a choice, a corner-stone, a precious stone, for its foundations; and he that believes on him shall by no means be ashamed. *
(combined with)
8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

35:4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.
5  Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
6  Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert. (read the entire chapter)

40:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight the paths of our God. 
4 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low: and all the crooked ways shall become straight, and the rough places plains. 
5 And the glory of the Lord shall appear, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God: for the Lord has spoken it. * (read the entire chapter)

42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2  He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3  A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4  He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.

6  I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7  To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. (entire chapter!)

50:4  The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.
5  The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back.
6  I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
7  For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
8  He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me.
9  Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.

52:13 Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.
14  As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:
15  So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. (entire chapter for sure!!)

55:3  Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
4  Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.
5  Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee.

61:1 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me; he has sent me to preach glad tidings to the poor, to heal the broken in heart, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind; 
2 to declare the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of recompence; to comfort all that mourn; 
3 that there should be given to them that mourn in Sion glory instead of ashes, the oil of joy to the mourners, the garment of glory for the spirit of heaviness: and they shall be called generations of righteousness, the planting of the Lord for glory. *

62:11 For behold, the Lord has proclaimed to the end of the earth, say ye to the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy Saviour has come to thee, having his reward and his work before his face. *

<>< <>< <>< 
* LXX or Septuagint, Greek translation of the Old Testament. Why am I using the LXX? This was the version used by Jesus, the apostles, and the early church.

No comments:

Post a Comment