Thursday, September 24, 2020

Savouring the things that be of God


Matthew 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests andmkj scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.  
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.  
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

This is Part 3 of What does it mean to seek the kingdom? based on Jesus’ statement in Matthew 6:33, But seek ye first the kingdom of God. I am especially concerned with verse 23, for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of man.

Right away and first off, how in the world did I go from seek ye first to thou savourest not? Even though they both start with s, they are not the same English word; nor are they the same Greek word. What gives? Let me explain. 

thou savourest not – What an interesting translation. Even back in 1611 (when the KJV was translated), savour referred to a pleasant taste or smell. My Middle English Dictionary says the verb savourin can also mean ‘to give an appetite to; to have a taste, perception’. Getting closer. Both John Wycliffe (1382) and William Tyndale (1526) translated this verse for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men. Clearly it had this shade of meaning. I like it, but I admit it no longer conveys that sense.

This is a translation of the Greek word φρονέω (phroneō) which has to do with the mind and thinking. According to Thayer’s Lexicon the word means:

1. to have understanding, be wise.  2. to feel, to think.  3. to direct one's mind to a thing, to seek or strive for.  

Number 3 is what Jesus is talking about here in Matthew 16. Peter, you’re not focused on the things of God; you’re not pursuing or seeking the things of God.

This is how this is related to Matthew 6:33. We have two options: we either have a mind set on the things of God, whereby we focus on, pursue, seek the things of God, or we have a mind set on the things of man, whereby we pursue, focus on, seek the things of man; and they are opposed to each other. 

I am persuaded that the things of God and the kingdom of God, if not identical, overlap. That’s how I got here; that’s why I believe this helps us understand how we seek the kingdom of God. In this passage the things of God include the cross – Jesus must suffer the cross so we can be saved. The cross is center stage in both the things of God and the kingdom of God.

Jesus went on the say there is a cross for us as well:

16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

This is kingdom teaching. This is how I seek the kingdom of God: deny myself, take up my cross, and follow him.

Next: Romans 8:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment