Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Are we living in the last days? Part 3

 

Keith Green's Last Days Ministries sign*

 

Are we living in the last days? This is an excellent question and I’ve thrown my hat in the ring to answer it. I went through the New Testament and found every occurrence of last days and last times.

In Part 1 I pointed out that last days and last times refer to The period that began with the first advent. Even though this is not what people are thinking about when they ask the question, this is what the Bible teaches. We are living in the last days, the acceptable time, the day of salvation. And in these last days God is gathering out a people for Himself from all the nations. Thank you, Father, the door was open for me!

In Part 2 we saw that last days and last times can also refer to The days that come at the end of these last days, or what we often call the end times.

In Part 3 I want to look at one more phrase:

The last day – the day he appears, the day of resurrection

We only read the phrase the last day in the gospel of John.

John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

These verses are, to put it simply, amazing!

First, the promise is repeated four times, I will raise him up at the last day. Our hope expressed in nine powerful and wonderful words! Resurrection from the dead. New, heavenly, glorified bodies fit for reigning with Christ in the millennial kingdom and the new heaven and the new earth.

Second, all the initiative for our salvation is with the Father: He sent the Son to save us, He gave us to the Son, He draws us by the Spirit to His Son.

Third, the way of salvation is seeing and believing in the Son. How do we “see” the Son? In the Gospel, in the Word, by faith.

Fourth, I am persuaded v 54 has a reference to the Lord’s Supper. The bread and the cup are the communion of the body and blood of Christ. We are receiving Christ, we are receiving life and forgiveness. What grace!

Ah, back to the point. Last day. What does that mean? The very last day of this world and the beginning of the world to come. And just when is that? When the Lord returns in glory. And when He comes, the dead shall be raised, and we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, then appear with Him and return with Him in His glory. Maranatha!

John 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus had said to her, Thy brother shall rise again. (Her brother was Lazarus, who did indeed come back to life.)

Martha replied, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

And then follows the most wonderful words, Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Yes Lord! I believe Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God sent into the world by the Father that we might be forgiven, restored to the Father, receive life, and be raised from the dead on the last day. And the coolest thing, the most powerful thing, is this: eternal life and the resurrection are not things we receive or that happen to us. Jesus himself is the resurrection and the life!

And this is the witness, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who has not the Son of God has not the life.+


 

John 7:37 & 12:48 are the other two occurrences of the last day

1 John 5:11-12 

* You can read Keith & Melody Green's story about Last Days Ministries here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment