Tuesday, June 18, 2024

1 Corinthians 13 A more excellent way

 


Spiritual Gifts 1 Corinthians 13

1 Corinthians 13 is a very well known chapter, but it’s not a stand-a-lone chapter, it’s right in the middle of Paul’s discussion of the gifts of the Spirit. This is a great chapter, one worthy of a study all its own, but I’m only going to emphasize the portions that relate to spiritual gifts. I’m not trying to diminish its importance, I’m simply focusing on spiritual gifts.

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

This is the more excellent way he mentioned at the close of ch 12. I’ve heard plenty of people teach that Paul is saying here that we need to choose between the gifts of the Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit, and of course the more excellent way is the fruit, so the gifts gotta go.

But Paul is not describing an either or situation. What he is saying, astonishing enough as it is, is that it is possible to posses and exercise spiritual gifts while at the same time not walking in love! That is the poor choice. It is not, “Choose gifts or fruit” it is rather, “Exercise the gifts in love.” And what does this walking in love look like?

4 Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Amen! Lord, fill my heart with your love!!

8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

This is why walking in love in the more excellent way, love never fails. All the gifts are temporary and only part of the full picture. They shall all cease. But when? We all agree on this, When that which is perfect is come. Ah, but when is that? Some say when the canon of Scripture is complete, which would mean all the gifts have ceased, including prophecy, tongues, knowledge. Others say it is when the Lord returns. This is how I understand it, so I believe we can expect and experience spiritual gifts until He comes.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

This would be why I believe when that which is perfect is come refers to the second coming - we still see through a glass darkly. If you see face to face, then I need to hang out with you! Faith and hope are also temporary, but we still need them. There is coming a day! Maranatha!!


NEXT: 1 Corinthians 14 Let the fun begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment