Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Spiritual Gifts 1 Corinthians 14:1-11


Today we begin going through chapter 14, a very practical chapter in which Paul compares speaking in tongues and prophecy. I call this, "Let the fun begin!” Many people are afraid of spiritual gifts, either because they are unfamiliar with them, or because they’ve seen abuses and misuse; but I can honestly say, I want everything the Lord has provided and promised. I want my experience to line up with the Word, but I don’t want to miss out on any blessings he has promised in His Word. Did I say practical? Yes! Let's be doers of the Word.

1 Corinthians 14:1-11

1 Follow after love, and desire spiritual gifts

This is a really neat verse! Here is a translation that captures what he is saying:

Run swiftly in order to catch the love [described in ch 13], and desire earnestly and seek the spirituals [mentioned in ch 12].

1 but rather that ye may prophesy.

We are to desire earnestly and seek that we might prophesy. Have you ever prophesied? The Holy Spirit is telling you may seek it, and pray for it. You are authorized to ask God to give you a gift you don’t yet have.

Now comes the “more later” about tongues and prophecy. In verse 2-5 Paul compares tongues and prophecy as to:

(1) Who is spoken to?

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

When someone speaks in tongues he is speaking to God; when someone prophesies he is speaking to men. Speaking in tongues is speaking mysteries in the Spirit; this is a good thing, but no one understands what was said. Prophesying is speaking in the language of the speaker and hearer, for edification, exhortation, and comfort.

(2) Who is edified?

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Speaking in tongues edifies the speaker, even though he doesn’t understand what he just said. This is a good thing, we each need to be built up on our most holy faith. The one who prophesies edifies the whole gathering, because it’s in their language. Both are good, but prophecy is better.

5 I would that ye all spoke with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

This is a really interesting and exciting verse!

(1) I would that ye all spoke with tongues – I would like for all of you to speak with tongues. This is Paul speaking; but it is also the voice and will of the Spirit. He is not opposed to tongues, he would like to see us all speak with tongues. This tells me that if you do not speak in tongues, you can begin praying for this gift, and praying with confidence.

(2) but rather that ye prophesied – “I have an even stronger desire that you prophesy.” Desire earnestly, seek, pray that you might prophesy.

(3) for greater is he that prophesieth…. – Greater is he who prophesies than he who speaks in tongues. Greater? Has a bigger and better impact.

(4) except he interpret – This confirms that when Paul says tongues, he is speaking of tongues without interpretation. Tongues, by itself, edifies the speaker, which is good, but tongues plus interpretation edifies everyone, which is better. Seems tongues + interpretation = prophecy.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Tongues here means speaking in the meeting without interpretation. He is repeating himself, tongues is good, but without interpretation it is limited.

Here’s another interesting verse! It’s like this is inspired!! Revelation, knowledge, prophesying, doctrine. Wow! I would like opportunities to preach at church, and when I have them I want to preach this way!

Revelation – God has revealed something to me, dream, vision, or a word.

Knowledge – A word of knowledge. The Lord has revealed something to me, has given me insight into the Scriptures, the Faith.

Prophesying – The Spirit has given me something to say to the brethren. These differ somehow, but I’m afraid I can’t explain how.

Doctrine – He means teaching from the Word and/or on the Faith.

What do all these have in common? They are all in the language of the hearers.

7-11 Examples of the importance of knowing the meaning of what is said.

9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?

 

Next: 1 Corinthians 14:12-25 It just keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment