Thursday, February 17, 2011

Johnson Oatman, Jr.

Something in my last post got me thinking about Johnson Oatman, Jr (1856-1922). I have found that many people know don’t know hymns by their title. They may know the song, just not by the title. Even fewer know who wrote them. But I like to know the name of the hymn (helps you search for it!), the meter (helps you sing it to a different tune if you don’t know the one in the book) and the author. And Johnson Oatman, Jr is one of my favorites.
He was ordained as a Methodist Episcopal minister, but only served as a local preacher. I’m not really sure what that meant in his day, but he never pastored, instead he worked full time in retail and insurance. This is the cool thing – he was not a professional, but he clearly loved the Lord and had a deep experience of His grace. When he was 36 years old he started writing gospel songs. He wrote 5,000 songs. It was said he averaged 4 to 5 new hymns each week. His texts were always in great demand by the leading gospel musicians of his day, including Charles Gabriel, William James Kirkpatrick and Edwin Excell.

Here are some of his songs that are still sung today. I invite you sing along. In fact, I spent much of last night singing. Yes, at work, out loud!

Count Your Blessings (this may be the best known one today; it is fun to sing the parts in the refrain)
When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done! 2x

The Fire Is Burning (how biblically literate they were! Do we know what Mt Pisgah refers to? We should)
I’ve been on Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
And I’ve satisfied my longing heart’s desire;
For I caught a glimpse of glory bright,
And my soul is burning with the fire.

O the fire is burning, yes, ’tis brightly burning,
O ’tis burning, burning in my soul. 2x

I will walk with Jesus, bless His Name,
And to be like Him I ev’ry day aspire;
For His love is like a heav’nly flame,
And my soul is burning with the fire.

I my all upon the altar lay,
As I to my closet lovingly retire;
And the flame consumes while there I pray,
And my soul is burning with the fire.

He Included Me (this is one of my favorites, so bright and joyful!)
I am so happy in Christ today,
That I go singing along my way;
Yes, I’m so happy to know and say,
“Jesus included me, too.”

Jesus included me, yes, He included me,
When the Lord said, “Whosoever,” He included me. 2x

Gladly I read, “Whosoever may
Come to the fountain of life today”;
But when I read it I always say,
“Jesus included me, too.”

“Freely come drink,” words the soul to thrill!
O with what joy they my heart do fill!
For when He said, “Whosoever will,”
Jesus included me, too.

Higher Ground (this may be as nearly well known as Count Your Blessings)
I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I’m onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Lord, lift me up and let me stand
By faith, on Heaven’s table land,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till Heav’n I’ve found,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

No, Not One
There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one! No, not one!
None else could heal all our soul’s diseases,
No, not one! No, not one!

Jesus knows all about our struggles,
He will guide till the day is done;
There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus,
No, not one! No, not one!

Worthy the Lamb (this is my favorite of all his songs. I learned this on my own, at the piano!)
“Worthy is the Lamb,” the hosts of Heaven sing,
As before the throne they make His praises ring;
“Worthy is the Lamb the book to open wide,
Worthy is the Lamb Who once was crucified.”

Oh, this bleeding Lamb, oh, this bleeding Lamb,
Oh, this dying Lamb, He was found worthy. 2x

Worthy is the Lamb, who shed His precious blood
To restore a world to happiness and God;
“When no eye could pity and no arm could save,”
Jesus for our ransom, Himself freely gave.

Worthy is the Lamb, the bleeding sacrifice
Who for Adam’s race paid such a fearful price;
Worthy is the Lamb, the Paschal Lamb of God,
For the world received “Redemption thro’ His blood.”

“Worthy is the Lamb,” let men and angels sing,
“Worthy is the Lamb,” let hallelujahs ring;
And when life is past, upon the golden shore,
“Worthy is the Lamb,” we’ll shout forevermore.


See http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/o/a/oatman_j.htm  for all the words to these and more. In fact, when you click on a song you hear the tune - no introduction, they just jump right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment