Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And to wait for his Son from heaven

My original intention was to write on the references to the second coming in 1 & 2 Thessalonians. I ran into two problems: (1) there is so much there (and I guess I get long winded), and (2) I couldn’t get past chapter one. So, here is just chapter 1

1 Thessalonians 1:9-10  
9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;  
10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

This passage gives us an insight into what Paul preached, what kind of invitation he presented, and their conversion.

First, the content of Paul’s preaching. I think it is safe to say that he preached against idols, declaring there is only one living God; that Jesus is the Son of God; that Jesus was raised from the dead; that Jesus is coming back; and finally, there is coming a day of the wrath of God against sinners (probably the day of judgment). Interestingly, I have pretty much summed up the Apostles’ Creed!

Does this tell us anything about the invitation he offered? I think so. Repentance, faith, and conversion. We are so confused today about these terms and mix them up.
Repent – this refers to a change of mind, a change in the way you think. They were idol worshipers, so he told them to repent: Stop regarding your idols as gods, as living, and accept the one true God. Change your mind about Jesus and your future. There is a dreadful day of judgment coming and despite what you think, you are not ready.
When repentance is truly preached it naturally leads to faith in Christ. Jesus is the Son of God, Jesus was raised form the dead, He is coming again and will rescue you from the wrath to come. Believe in Him!
Conversion – this is the word that means, to change, to turn around. “Your idols are not real, stop worshiping them and worship the living God through Jesus His Son.”
He told them to repent, to abandon their idols and turn to God, and to believe in Jesus.

Now the meat of the passage, their conversion:

ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God – Amen! They didn’t simply give up their idols, they turned to God. He told them about the living God, the true God, the Creator, and they turned to him! This is conversion. [It is the actual word that is translated be converted and turn to (Acts 3:19-20, 9:35, 11:21, 14:15, 15:19, 26:20).] They turned to God so they could serve Him. This doesn’t mean they all went into the ministry. No, to serve the Lord means to live for Him, to obey Him. They stopped trying to please their idols and began to do those things that please the Lord (1 Thess 4:1). Again, Amen!

And to wait for his Son from heaven – this is quite a picture of early Christianity, Serve God and wait for Jesus! This word wait includes expectancy. Am I still waiting for Jesus to come? Do I still have expectancy? Am I looking and longing for his return? When North Carolina played in the ACC Tournament, I marked my calendar and set my alarm. I got up early just to watch the game. I was waiting for it. Am I waiting like that for Jesus to come again?

whom he raised from the dead, Jesus – Amen! Our faith is not in an ideal, or in our ability to live better lives, or in a long dead hero. We believe in Jesus, who was raised from the dead! He died and was raised again and that power is at work in us who believe! He was raised from the dead!!!

which delivered us from the wrath to come – there is a lot of hullabaloo going on today as people openly question and reject the idea of wrath to come. Paul clearly preached it, warned them of it, and told them Jesus would deliver them from it. Wrath to come is a somber, sobering reality. And Jesus delivers from it. I love how he puts it here, who delivered us from the wrath to come. When I believed in Jesus, when I repented and turned to the Lord, I was then delivered from the wrath to come! As he says in chapter 5, For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.  Amen! Salvation is deliverance from the wrath to come, but it is so much more than that, it is living together with him: having fellowship with him now by the Holy Spirit and then in his presence!! Praise the Lord, with the Spirit and the understanding!


Now I have to apply this to my life. Have I repented and turned to God by believing in Jesus? Am I serving the Lord? and, Am I waiting for Jesus – expecting him, looking for him, longing for him?

The Bible ends with this note:
Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Did you know that even so is the Greek word for yes? So, it could be translated like this

Surely I come quickly. Amen. Yes (with a hand pump!), Come, Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this. There is someone in my life that claims they have accepted Christ as their Savior and yet there seems to be NO change in them. This clarified a lot for me. I knew most of this. Just needed the scripture to back what I had been thinking. I will continue to pray for this person and their heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete