Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dell, Windows 7, and Me

Recently, my old faithful computer suffered a fatal problem. The back light for the monitor died. I took it to the Geek Squad and they told me I could buy a new laptop for the same thing it would take to fix the light. I was bummed. I have had that computer for many years and even replaced the hard drive. We were buddies! But with assurances that I could still use the hard drive, I began the process of buying a new computer.

My search led me to Dell. I decided I didn't need a lot on a computer and I found Dell. They had a great sale for President's Day, so I bought an Inspiron 14-R. Me and Dell have a history that goes back to when I bought a laptop for Mary K, but I swallowed hard and bit the bullet. Shortly before it was supposed to arrive I got a call from Dell. Well, I didn't know it was from Dell - you see I don't answer phone calls from numbers I don't know - but they left a message which said, "This is Dell. sorry to say, your purchase has been back ordered and will arrive later than promised." Or something like that! But it wasn't much later and I am now in possession of a new computer!

Early on I realized that anything would be better than the one I had and this is. It is faster and brighter, bigger and stronger. It is kinda neat, it has a camera and came with Skype so, when I get around to it, I can talk to Anne in Ohio and Erica in Korea. It has a much longer battery life. And the sound system! This is actually exciting, I like to listen to my music and the speakers are good. And I can control the volume right on the keyboard! I like this. I have to get used to the "feel" of the keyboard and stuff, but I like the new computer.

Windows 7. This computer came without Word or even Works. Minor bummer. Biggest thing is this: Windows 7 is not compatible with a lot of software that came before it! Why would they do this? So my beloved QuickVerse Bible program doesn't work on it. Neither does my SeedMaster Bible and I cannot find my (very expensive) BibleWorks program. I am a technology anachronism - when I find something that works, I don't want the newest/latest version!

A brief aside, in my research into QuickVerse 4 I discovered  there is no fix for this. It is owned by a different company and they no longer support this. I contacted them and they told me:

"Thank you for your email and support of QuickVerse... Unfortunately we no longer sell or support the older QuickVerse 3 & 4 versions. The QuickVerse 3 & 4 version will not be compatible with Windows Vista or 7 (32/64 bit). We are currently on the QuickVerse 2011 (version 15)... The only thing I can offer is an upgrade to the QuickVerse 2011 version. You can upgrade for a discounted price... just $49.95 plus $9.95 S&H or to the larger QuickVerse 2011 Deluxe for just $149.95 plus $9.95 S&H. "

OUCH! The BibleWorks people told me I could get a replacement CD for just $5. And, I contacted the creator of QuickVerse, he has a program for $14.95. Meanwhile I went with the free e-sword Bible.

Back to Windows 7. I don't like the Windows Media player (I'm still sorta lost in it) and some other features. But, you know what, I'm glad I have a computer that works. It plays my music and once I get this Word processor and Bible software thing worked out, I will be fine. I do like being able to listen to my music again!

Isn't your day better now that you know all this?

No comments:

Post a Comment