Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patrick's hymn

The Breastplate of St. Patrick -- a morning prayer

The original of this is a kind of rhymed or half rhymed utterance. The language of the poem is very old Gaelic. (This is one of three of Patrick’s writings that we still have – this, his Confession, and a letter requesting the release of a slave.) It is called the “Lorica” and also “The Deer’s Cry.” According to tradition, St. Patrick uttered it while on his way to Tara, where he was for the first time to confront the power of the Pagan High-King of Ireland. Assassins were in wait for him and his companions, but as he chanted the hymn it seemed to the hidden band that a herd of deer went by.
stanzas I-X are Gaelic; XI Latin

I
I bind to myself today
The strong power of an invocation of the Trinity
the faith of the Trinity in Unity
the Creator of the universe

II
I bind to my self today
the might of the incarnation of Christ with that of his baptism
the might of his crucifixion with that of his burial
the might of his resurrection with that of his ascension
the might of his coming on the judgement day

III
I bind to myself today
the power in the love of the seraphim
in the obedience of the angels
in the ministration of the archangels
in the hope of the resurrection unto reward
in the prayers of the patriarchs
in the predictions of the prophets
in the preaching of the apostles
in the faith of the confessors
in the deeds of righteous men

IV
I bind to myself today
the power of heaven
the brightness of the sun
the whiteness of the snow
the splendor of fire
the speed of lightning
the swiftness of wind
the depth of the sea
the stability of the earth
the firmness of rocks

V
I bind to myself today
God's power to pilot me
God's might to uphold me
God's wisdom to teach me
God's eye to watch over me
God's ear to hear me
God's word to give me speech
God's hand to guide me
God's way to lie before me
God's shield to shelter me
God's host to secure me
against the snares of demons
against the seductions of vices
against the lusts of nature
against everyone who meditates injury to me
whether far or near
whether few or with many

VI
I invoke today all these virtues
against every hostile merciless power
which may assail my body and my soul
against the incantations of false prophets
against the black laws of heathenism
against the false laws of heresy
against the deceits of idolatry
against the spells of women and smiths and druids every power of the enemy
against every knowledge that blinds the soul of man

VII
Christ protect me today
against poison, against burning
against drowning against wounding
that I may receive abundant reward

VIII
Christ with me, Christ before me
Christ behind me, Christ within me
Christ under me, Christ above me
Christ at my right, Christ at my left
Christ in lying down, Christ in sitting
Christ in rising up

IX
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks to me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me

X
I bind to myself today
the strong power of an invocation of the Trinity
the faith of the Trinity in Unity
the creator of the universe

XI
Salvation is of the Lord
Salvation is of the Lord
Salvation is of Christ
May Thy salvation, O Lord, be with us forever.

-----------
The hymn we used to sing was:

Christ Be Beside Me
 
Christ be beside me, Christ be before me,
Christ be behind me, King of my heart.
Christ be within me, Christ be below me,
Christ be above me, never to part.

Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand,
Christ all around me, shield in the strife.
Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting,
Christ in my rising, light of my heart.

Christ be in all hearts thinking about me,
Christ be on all tongues telling of me.
Christ be the vision in eyes that see me,
In ears that hear me Christ ever be.

James Quinn, adapt. from St. Patrick's Breastplate, 8th cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment