Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Our first kayaking trip of the year

Yesterday was a beautiful day and today held the same promise, so we planned to go kayaking. We set about gathering our stuff together and getting prepared around 1:30. Things did not begin well. I have two straps for securing the kayaks to the trailer. Well, someone had separated the strap from the ratchet on both. And I know it wasn’t me because I know I don’t know how to put them back together! I tried a few times then gave up and went for my ropes. Now, I am very particular about my ropes, always coiling them the same way so that the rope doesn’t tangle. One of my ropes was a tangled mess! I told Mary about this and she asked incredulously, “Who would do that?” Who indeed?!

I finally got the ropes untangled and secured the kayaks and we were off. My plan was to go to the dam because I knew Mary had not kayaked that stretch of the (Catawba) river. The water was cold but bearable, so we put in. We are right at the dam and I reminded Mary that they sound a horn as a warning if they are about to release water and she remembered. This will be important later.

There is a good sized island right there at the dam. The main channel of the river goes to the left of it and a smaller stream to the right. We thought we would go right, down to the end of the island and then back up to the put in. And off we went.

It is so peaceful on the river. I’ve been on this river several times, but today, for the first time, I saw turtles. Maybe a hundred. We saw turtles everywhere, sunning themselves on logs and rocks. Some logs had 3, 4, 5 or more turtles all lined up. As we got closer they would throw themselves into the water with a loud splash. Sometimes the splash would cause turtles down river to throw themselves off as well. Plop! Splash! Splash! Every once in a while we would see a turtle who would hold to his spot on the log as we drew near and passed by. At one point, I drew near a log that had several turtles. All but one leaped off. As I drew closer I kept reassuring him that I was passing by and he could stay there. He must have believed me.

This little stream was beautiful. And peaceful. And it looked so wild, there were fallen trees everywhere. Did I mention we forgot to get a camera? And Mary looks so cute from behind, in her little red kayak and her straw hat!

We reached the end of the island and headed back up river. After a few minutes we saw a hill. A hill? It was a mountain and I dubbed it Mount Tega Cay (pronounced as one word, with the emphasis on the first syllable). So we pulled over and went exploring. After the first scramble up we were rather elevated and could see the river. It was a beautiful spot. We walked around for a while and the mountain was calling to me, “Climb to the top.” I finally found a way to get to the top. Spectacular!

After a brief stay we went back to the kayaks and on the river. We were going along merrily and I heard something. I wasn’t sure so I didn’t say anything. Then I heard it again. The siren. I looked back at Mary and she had heard it too. You have ten minutes from when you hear the siren to the releasing of water. And when they release the water, it rises fast and the current gets strong. And I knew we were not going to get back to the take out in ten minutes. Man, every time I put in at the dam for a short trip I hear that siren!

We paddled toward the shore and I thought I saw a path. I suggested Mary head that way. I planned to take on the challenge and paddle against the rising current to the take out and then walk back to meet Mary and grab her kayak. I was making progress. But, it was farther away than I thought. And when I looked back Mary was coming too! We paddled to a point and got out to assess our situation. The river was rapidly rising and the current was strong. Right across a little stretch of water was our destination. That stretch looked calmer so I carried the kayaks to the other side of the point and we set off. Mary went first. I headed back to get my kayak and when I got in she yelled back, “It’s easy.” It was. We made it!

As I was loading the kayaks on the trailer I got to wondering: Sonic has “happy hour” every afternoon from two to four; all drinks ½ price; and we pass a Sonic on the way home. I got my phone out and checked the time. 4:25. I mentioned it to Mary and she had been thinking the same thing! Oh well, there are other afternoons. When we got home, Mary made a Pepsi float for her and a root beer float for me. We sat on the patio and had our own happy hour.

I love the river and we had a great time!

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to been there sounds like a great afternoon to me. By the way hello again I am back online so I can write and read your blogs again talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete