Monday, March 5, 2012

Would you like to make a donation today?

When I was a pastor, we had to deal with raising money for the general budget, missions, benevolence, special offerings etc. I have never liked having to raise money and I learned a secret from A.B. Simpson, the biblical key that set me free from my dislike of taking an offering.

This is found in 2 Corinthians 8-9. In these two chapters Paul lays out the principles of giving and it begins with, “Moreover, brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia.” Giving is a grace bestowed, that is, it is a work of God. I don’t have to trick people into giving, or guilt them into it, or manipulate them, or know the latest method or technique. Oh, I have heard of plenty of “methods” for raising money, but God says it is a work of His grace. This makes it a spiritual matter. You give what you want to, based on what you have, as much as you can give joyously. No compulsion, no guilt. So, is there a need? Make it known to the saints and then go to God in prayer. The fund raising technique is the prayer closet.

Another important principle is that of participation. When I give to a work or a church, I become a participant in what they are doing. This is one of the reasons we don’t ask the world to support the work of God.

So, giving is a grace, it is spiritual, voluntary, and a participation in the work given to. To me, giving is a spiritual exercise, something that flows out of my love for and trust in the Lord. He works in me and I give what I give because I am glad to give it.

What a contrast this is to the charity drive at work! What a shock to my soul!

Our company has this charity they give to, or rather that they ask customers to give to, and they pressure us to solicit every customer: “Would you like to make a donation today?” Well, how is it so different? They want us to hound the customers - every one every time. Guilt them into giving. Manipulate them – my manager has suggested several methods “guaranteed” to get them to give and give more. There is an encouraged competition between stores, and managers – “Bring it on; we are better than you" etc, and associates. I was told this morning I needed to pick it up because I was “way behind everyone else.” I have a really hard time with this. And whenever I am successful in getting someone to make a donation, I don’t care if I get credit for it. But they do. So this will be a trying month for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment